Homemade throttle control

Has anyone made there own troll master/control king? Seems like it should be straight forward with a servo and controller. Thoughts? I have been pondering making one up for my 92 Yamaha 9.9. Would be a cool project. If someone has done it would love to hear what servos and controllers you have tried and what the results are.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

There would be marine safety issues such as fire, explosion and throttle control. Rigging a cable throttle would have less safety concerns. Even with that you have to consider safety. Such as, you should not have a remote throttle without a kill switch function. With a servo control, all electrical components need to be explosion proof (sealed so they cannot produces any spark that could ignite fuel fumes).

I was thinking the same thing but for a 2 stroke, I'm going down to Hobbie town, they have all the servo's for model air planes and off road RC trucks, once I see what I'm dealing with and the throw of the arm and how long the arm is and how little I can make them move, figuring I'll have to hook into the throttle linkage with a 2 stroke, I'll keep you posted on what I find!!!

The throttle linkage would be simple,  Making the bracket for the servo would take some time ,  Controller,  I looked at an RC car yesterday,   I'm positive it can be done and with out any wires, How would a fire start? So you could operate it anywhere in the boat.

Very doable. You just need a servo checker:http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231285040281?lpid=82&chn=ps,

A 12v to 5 v reducer: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v+dc+to+5v+dc&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=60681766272&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8791931971662813244&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8wf2ah9t7r_b

Shielded wire is important for interference, servo, and linkage.

Have fun. When my servo on my controlking failed on a 9 day Fairhaven fish trip I got one at the Hobby shop in Fulton for $8.00 .

On this subject .. Has anyone figured a way to take the " dead@ spot out of the throttle on there main outboard

I know this doesn't answer your question but I had same problem with my main after 4 years of trolling with it. Had Snake Creek change the throttle cable and added a kicker to eliminate that issue in the future.

The throttle linkage would be simple,  Making the bracket for the servo would take some time ,  Controller,  I looked at an RC car yesterday,   I'm positive it can be done and with out any wires, How would a fire start? So you could operate it anywhere in the boat.

Wireless operation would require a transmitter and a receiver that operate on a specific frequency. There is always a possibility of radio interference. The FCC specifically regulates wireless communication devices (including transmission encoding)  to eliminate the possibility of interference with (or from) other applications. Interference could cause loss of throttle control which could lead to a collision. That is why I said a kill switch function is important. You would probably be violating FCC regulations if you used equipment designated for use with RC modelling for this purpose. If there was a mishap, all liability would be on you. Also there is not as much safety engineered into RC modelling equipment as there would be in something like this that requires more safety consideration.

If you rig up your own system, it would be much safer to use wired controls. Even then, it might be prudent to have a kill function at the control in case of failure.

Possible fire or explosion hazard can be caused by any switch or relay contacts that are not sealed as well as some DC motors which have commutators that produce electrical sparks. All of these types of components must be sealed to prevent any sparks that may cause ignition of any fumes that may be present.

Edited by muskiedreams

I have remote controls for the motor just looking for the ability to dial in the speed precisely which a servo would provide. I would build it to allow use of both and take adequate precautions to make sure everything is safe. Servo checker, servo, voltage reducer, and bracketry is the basics. Thanks for all the tips guys,

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 years later...