SS wire rods

I'm really leaning towards going with SS wire over copper is there a preferred rod or rods that are favorites. I want to go with a all around use one 7-8 foot.

Shorter vs. longer is just easier on my type of boat.Thanks

Wire and copper are two very different species. Wire is used in conjunction with dipsey divers. Generally your rod will need to be long enough and stout enough to handle the stress of pulling a diver with a long leader.

Copper is its own deployment device and you can get away with a shorter, heavier action rod but will need a reel with bigger capacity as copper takes up much more room.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Paul makes  some good points  and I would say additionally  if you wish to get away from a longer rod consider one of the light to medium weight Tidewater roller tip rods about 6 ft. (about $60 new). I have five of them for wire (dipseys and Seth green rigs) and I love them. If you are ever anywhere near Keuka lake (Branchport) Fishy Business carries them locally. In any event with SS wire you'll need either a twilli tip or a roller tip or you'll cut through your rod standard tip.

Edited by Sk8man

Are you thinking of flatlining the wire, instead of using copper?

I would not recommend this. I tried it for 2 seasons, based on findings that wire sinks at a fairly good rate. But the end result is we NEVER caught fish off the flatline wire.  I mean, technically it works, I was getting to 30 ft deep with 150 ft of line out, but for some reason I was not getting any bites.

Copper will produce way more than a flat wireline.

I would keep the wireline for dipsey setups, as others have pointed above.

The other option is to add leadcore to the mix. This setup does produce when fish are hanging in the top 40 ft.

I was thinking that copper would take a bigger reel there for adding more weight than SS wire, I have two lead core setups on Okuma Convectors,cv45's which is quite bulky to me and really never caught much on it. Yes my thought was to flat line it but also use on Dipsey's. Do they use lead core with Dipsey's?

I guess part of my mind set is to have something that will get deeper without using my downriggers or along with them when fish are deeper and with fleas

fast approaching they say SS wire is less prone than copper.

No lead core for dipseys. Lead is ran off either in line boards or big boards. Ss wire is for dipseys it will cut through the fleas. Copper is for running the same as lead core it just goes deeper and yes it will take a larger bulky reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you're not already using dipsey's in your spread, I'd add those before you go to copper. For someone starting out braid on dipsey's is more forgiving than wire, but braid has the flea issue. If you do go with wire get dipsey rods, add Twilly tips, and reels with good drags. Have someone familiar with wire setup your rods as wire needs to go on with steady pressure. Have to watch wire for kinks so have to be careful breaking down rods and handling. Don't give up on your lead core setups either. Short segments of lead core have been very productive for me this year. Keep in mind with all these tactics there is a learning curve so stick with it until you are comfortable. Good luck!

If the fleas are very thick in the spot you happen to fish (they vary in concentrations throughout the lakes) there is nothing that is fool proof in totally avoiding them....they even clog up downrigger cables despite the large diameter of the wire.  I think in many cases they may be a little easier to get off wire than braid. As far as downriggers go I've had real good luck the past few years with the Bloodrun Sea Flee line for mono but usually any CONNECTIONS get them.  They are really pesky little critters to deal with.

post-145411-0-15508300-1434633246_thumb.jpg