boat repair/ restoration HELP

slamminsam

I need deck (wood) replacement and transom wood replaced on a 1972 (I think) 17'starcraft aluminum boat.  I live in Binghamton NY 13901 area code.  Could be a winter project for someone handier than myself.  The transom work I would think would be the toughest part because I think it may require removing rivots?  Not sure though.  I will obviously send pictures and if possible bring to or have visit.  Interested, no someone, somewhere or suggestions would be great.  Thanks

Steve (Slamminsam)

Also check out tin boats.net they got some resto jobs that help out. I just put a new floor in a 18ft SC superfisherman and it's not that difficult at all. Transoms a little more intense but easily doable with a little elbow grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Steve, I went through some projects the last two years one being transom replacement and floor. It's time consuming but in the end I'm glad I did it and not someone else. The transom as mentioned would probably be the toughest, but if you have access to the back skin, meaning no splash well, it's a piece of cake. Mine was totally shot. Toughest part would be the wood part, resin and epoxy stuff that I'm not really that knowledgable with if you go that route. I went with a pour cast with mine. My only suggestion would be is to not wait till winter unless you have access to a heated garage or work shop. I did mine in February, which having a salamander in the doorway of my house and a kerosene heater to try and get my garage to 70 degrees ugggg. Not fun. Working with resins in warmer atmospher is easier to work with. My floor was replacing the aluminûm and gluing vinyl Nautalex. Happy to help. post-150509-14345859456337_thumb.jpgpost-150509-14345859713117_thumb.jpgpost-150509-14345860404614_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

chances are you will not have to remove rivets on a alum boat to remove stern, but it will involve everything else, in the 3 I have done the toughest part it the rail above the stern. If your looking for some one to do it for you PM me and we can talk.

PK

The brackets that hold triple engines on the patrol boats are triple three eighths aluminum plate. That seems to be a good simple way to reinforce your transom. The transom knee bracket will let go of the transom is flexing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app