Humminbird Sonar Settings for models -> 7xx, 8xx, 9xx, 11xx

I've had a lot of questions lately regarding the screen shots and detail on our Humminbird units. I've used a lot of the manufacturers out there, and I have to say I'll put our Humminbirds up against ANY of them! Here the settings we use:

Settings

Switchfire - We run Max Mode when over 20'. Here's an explanation of what Switchfire is - Clear Mode looks at the most intense part of the sonar beam where as Max Mode is unfiltered data so it will incorporate side lobes. Max mode does adjust power output for depth. Clear mode can adjust output power to match the depth. Plus Clear mode also provides Time Variable Gain so it understands the loss of sonar signal strength over depth and in Clear mode it can calculate this diminishing return and adjusts the data to display the return as the same size on the screen no matter the depth. so a 5 pound fish will be displayed the same size at 5' as at 50' or 100' or 1000' so you can better determine and compare the sizes, Clear mode is a very precision sonar system where Max mode displays all the data as it naturally occurs.  

Water Type - Salt Deep

Transducer Type - Dual Beam (stock ducer is 83/200 if it's an Airmar it'll be a 50/200)

Beam Select - 83/200 or 50/200 depending on your ducer

83 or 50 Sensitivity - 0 to -5

Surface Clutter - 0 to 3

Noise Filter - We would run ours from Medium to High 1 depending on the day. You want to use the lowest setting possible

Sensitivity - Turn it up until you start to see a little "snow" on the screen, and then back it down 1.

Scroll speed - We usually run ours at max speed, but I'm told for the best detail you want to match your speed. If you;re trolling 3mph then set it to a speed of 3. Again, we DON't do this. Just something I've seen in some videos lately. 

Jigging Mode - ON if you are seeing a pixilated screen. 

Notes

Overlaying your 83 and your 200 beams is nice, but sometimes we see a little better picture when we split the screen and use one side for our 83 (in our case its a 50khz beam) and the other for the 200. 

If you can see your cannon balls then you will mark fish. I've had questions regarding this recently. There isn't much of a screen outside of 200' of water on the South shore. If you're seeing your cannon balls don't panic if you're not seeing fish. If you want a warm fuzzy feeling go into 125' or less and look at as many fish and bait pods as you want.

You should be able to see screens like this (these are from the last few weeks):

IMG_20150518_065741264_HDR_zpsvuvk88yw.j

IMG_20150612_114111_zpsmfeq9oid.jpg

IMG_20150529_081636_zpsr7pi5cgo.jpg

IMG_20150612_131057422_HDR_zpsztmssfti.j

IMG_20150612_130845485_HDR_zps53kr4kum.j

Lastly, check out some videos on how 2D sonar works if you want to better understand what you're seeing.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Thank you Richard. Will give it a try next trip to see if the picture improves. I love the unit just would like to see the targets a little better for my father.

Can you explain why you use the saltwater setting instead of fresh water.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To be honest when Billy V and I started running birds 8+yrs ago thre was a software glitch and the engineers told us to run it in Salt Deep to get around it. I understand that's been fixed through an update, which most of you should already have, so that setting isn't as important.

BTW....Speaking about software glitches. There is a setting introduced in the newer software updates called "Jigging Mode." This was put in place to fix a pixilation glitch. Put Jigging Mode on if you are seeing a very pixillated screen in 2D.

Ok thought it may have been due to water density. If your fishing the first 200 fow freshwater setting should work fine. Unless someones looking for nessie

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Water density will force you to tweak settings. It's a pain in the Spring with all the breaks, but these are mini computers now. They can do so much, but you need to understand what you're seeing, and know how to tweak it.

I have a 788 di.....use the 200khz transducer. I have an issue where it will mistake bait or a large fish as bottom for several seconds. ......plays havoc with my cannonlink. Any settings to resolve this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is the jigging mode in the same spot as the salt water setting? I definitely noticed a pixelated image when I made these adjustments.

I'm pretty sure that setting is under the 'Sonar' tab on the menu. If you don't see it then you will have to update your software. It's very easy. Register your product on Humminbirds Website:

http://www.humminbird.com/Support/MyHumminbird/

Once registered you will find the update for your product. Download it to an SD card with 4GB of space or more, and a minimum Class 6 or higher. Plug it into your bird and it'll ask you 2 questions. Follow them and it will update all on its own.

I watched the other tip and tricks and some of the other guys on you tube.when I whent out this weekend I did some of the stuff I learned on there and what a difference it made

That's great to hear! These truly are mini computers. No more set it and forget it. These units will show you everything! You just need to tweak it for what you're looking for.