Fish hawk or not

Fishing charters are out there every day. They know the currents inside out, and know when they are changing. They know what the bend in the rods need to look like. They pay attention to the smallest detail.

If you are able to know the water that well, then maybe you can rely solely on GPS speed. But like most of us, having downspeed really helps.

Got it mostly installed and can't wait to get out Saturday and test it out. I was catching very few before and hope it makes a huge difference. I have also been fortunate enough to go with an awesome fisherman who has been teaching me tons. Won't be long before my catch average is much higher!!!

Got it mostly installed and can't wait to get out Saturday and test it out. I was catching very few before and hope it makes a huge difference. I have also been fortunate enough to go with an awesome fisherman who has been teaching me tons. Won't be long before my catch average is much higher!!!

You will catch more with it.  It has been the 2nd best tool on the boat behind my sonar unit for getting things dialed in.  You'll be amazed at how dramatically different down speed is compared to surface speed, moving in different directions.  If your lures aren't running at the right speed, you are just burning fuel.  As was pointed out above, Charter Captains have so much time on the water they can look at the bend in a rod and know if they are good.  Amateurs like us rely on tools.

Would not leave the dock without it. Down speed is critical for lure presentation and in the summer I always look for 50 degree water.

In the summer, two best producers are dipies and the probe at 50 degrees.

Would not leave the dock without it. Down speed is critical for lure presentation and in the summer I always look for 50 degree water.

In the summer, two best producers are dipies and the probe at 50 degrees.

Look fo 42 degrees 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your graph does not show fish at deeper depths if it is set up for the 100 foot depth. There are many fish deeper that the graph does not indicate. I learned that with my old x16 when I changed the settings and fish appeared at depths to 250 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

The most important part of the fish hawk is the speed.... Matching the right speed with the right lure is most important. Lures like evil eyes or suttons do well at slower speeds. Heavier spoons like NKs work better at faster speeds.... The fish hawk is The most esential piece of equipment on my boat

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app