Hello everyone I am looking for a bit of help please.   I am a retired charter captain from the Cleveland area in lake erie looking to come up to olcott to do a little salmon fishing in the next few weeks.   could anyone help me with the vitals in that area this time of year please?   I would guess anytime from the end of june through the end of july.   I am looking for fow the fish are at, speed and anything else you care to share.   if your salmon are like my steelies we go around 3mph anywhere between 20-50 depth in 70 fow.   that is about as deep as erie gets tho...    I am planning on using dipsys, jets and boards mostly.   will be pulling stingers for sure.  

thank you so much and happy fishing!

jerry

There's so much change. Speeds varies but in the area. Water is deeper. Check surface temps and current. Sub troll fish hawk. Is a must. Olcottfishing is a good info on the web to

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I agree with Gill-t June is a ruff month ..u can get lucky and pick on some of next yrs fish in 200-250 and steelhead in the top 40 around 400-500..if u do come I would set up about 200 get one of those mag dipsys in the ice water ..down speed anywhere between 2.2 and 2.8 tops and troll out till u hit a fish or find a lot of marks and circle..last weekend west and shallow tons of bait and nice hooks but nothing but a small king out of it in the 70 to 100 flow ..u could try there but as soon as the suns up beat it out deep those fish will bury themselves in the mud and u will scratch ur head trying to hook one ..yellow and orange up hi for steelhead ..green and deeper 4 the kings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is very helpful thank you.   I will plan on july - I know we may head out around the 10-12th or so.   I have heard july is better than june - curious.   the mag dipsys are crazy - I only use them here once in a while when I need to get to the bottom.   so those salmon are down 50+'.    makes sense...

Not sure what all the June stinks stuff is all about. Has always been one of my preferred months. Lots of opportunities. Go fish.

Jeremy Goodisons king out of Sandy the other day is a perfect example.

Pretty fish and pound for pound at their strongest. Should you choose to eat one, big diff between firm flesh in June to dip a cracker in it soft in the fall.

Biggest brown I ever caught was mid June and have had some crazy offshore action in June as well.

If you have the time off and good weather as well, get out and fish.

I would love to fish sandy creek instead of olcott in the month of June we have east winds and it pushes the fish and bait to the east..half the charter captains pull out of here in June and head east ..but end of may beginning of June and end of July and August till sept...I'll take it right here....I was doing great till 2 weeks ago a week of East winds and the fish r gone...

great guys thanks.  as the wind pushes the fish east does it also just push them north to deeper water?  im not going to go east of olcott unless necessary. 

Fished olcott this morning went one for one with a 9-10lb king in 250 ...50 down ..temp was 49 and speed was 2.3..green spoon talked to a few other boats not much happened a few caught a couple steelhead out deep and some smaller kings