Great Lakes/Niagara River Musky Season

The boat traffic has been so heavy with the hot weather that there are more floating weeds then I have seen in sometime.We tried trolling from 8:30 pm to 1:00 am and spent most of the night reeling in to clean off weeds,no hits,Zippo!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The regulars that have been fishing at night have still been catching muskies and it is starting to even pick up with a little more action with the water temp dropping 5 degrees to 72 degrees.I will be back out on the Niagara River tomorrow night now that the water temp has dropped back down to where catching & releasing muskies will be successful.

Looking to fish for musky for the first time ever in lake erie or the river.  Can anyone offer some info as to where a good starting point would be or 2 and what types of baits to use?  Thanks

We have fished for big pike in canada, so we have some top water bait, diving baits, bull dawgs, spinner baits and buck tails.

Tony

Slapshot,The best muskie fishing has been at night.We are mostly trolling 13 to 14 ft edges coming off waters of 20 ft or deeper.Depthraiders,Hi-Fin Trophy Divers,Legend Perchbaits,Believers,Muskie Candies and 5 1/2" Wiley's trolled slow up stream or cross stream angle never going over 3 mph down stream or 2 mph up stream.

You could drift and twitch crankbaits as well or toss top waters at creek mouths.

Fished the east Niagara River with Toothy yesterday from 9:30 am til dark. My first time on the river this year. Water temp. was 68 and went down to 67 later. I got a nice 44" tiger about 10:30 am. Was coming up to 13' from 20' near the southern most marina on Grand Island pulling a niagara walleye junior perchbait. No more action the rest of the day. Arms are sore from fighting weeds which were a big factor. Will post pics later.

Edited by muskiedreams

Congrats on your fish. The pic you attached is very small. I'll have to try get a better look from my desktop when I get to work.

Do you have a smart phone with the pictures on it, and do you use the LOU app? If so, it's very simple and more or less self explanatory...you just attach a photo using the photo icon when you are posting.

If you are using a laptop or desktop, you probably need to use on online photo storage system like photobucket, and copy and paste the image url into your post here.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yep- looks like fin rot to me.  could be from being in a net earlier in their lives or from any other number of factors (spawing behaviour maybe).  i am a fish nerd and used to have mulitple huge fish tanks with large predator fish. i have seen this a few times during the healing process after injuries due to fighting or whatnot.   sucks if human inflicted but at least catch and release is working...

Edited by JOE ESOX

Fin rot is a general term used to describe a bacterial infection in the fins.  could be fungal also..  i dunno, just what it looks like to me.     i have never seen it on a muskie, but i am not puttin up the #'s like capt larry or some of these other guys.