Great Lakes/Niagara River Musky Season

I did not make it out last night,packing barrels to ship to Guyana for January - February rainforest fishing guiding trip.I did get out on Friday and caught a 39 1/2" muskie in the Buffalo River at 10:05 am.Then the 1/4" hail came down and I had to duck my head up under the boat consol under the steering wheel.Called it the day after that and seeing more thick clouds heading my way.Surface water temp in the Buffalo River was 59 degrees,in North Gap was 58 degrees that is why bait fish & muskies were in the Buffalo River.

Go Manuel & Bills!!

Edited by mostlymuskies

We braved those crazy winds yesterday. Trolled the shorelines between Frenchmans and Bear creek because it was really the only place we could. Spent some time trolling in front of the cattails and the old shipyard mostly.  Water really stained and nothing to show for efforts.  Skipping Saturday but back out next Thursday.  Might be too early...last years 25lber was caught Nov 14th

Last night we had a little action in the west river,Chris Kempf caught 43",42" & 41" muskies out trolling the west river with me.Surface water temp was 56.5 degrees,floating weeds were bearable.All fish were in 12 to 14 ft of water,nothing over deeper water.Trolling speed was 1.7 mph upstream again'st 3.5 mph current following dropoff edges.

post-144733-0-35193000-1445575782_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-39838400-1445575819_thumb.jpg

post-144733-0-29595300-1445575851_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

Last night was a little tougher night,clients only had a NY Fishing License so we started up in the Buffalo Harbor.We marked a few big hooks but could not get anything to hit.At 10:30 pm we dropped back down to the East River and the floating weeds were very bad.They quit at 11 pm with a skunk.After loading boat up I started to leave when one of my former DuPont employees showed up and talked me into going back out.He had a Canadian license so we went to the shipyards.First past we caught a 38",then washed lures the rest of the time out.I hate East winds!Water surface temp was 56.3 degrees and floating weeds in the west river were not bad.

Edited by mostlymuskies

We spent tonight in the North Gap of the Buffalo Harbor,did not mark a lot,but managed a 33"er and 35 1/2" muskies near the mouth of the Buffalo River.Surface water temp was 55.4 degrees around the walls and 54.5 in the Buffalo River.Back to west river tomorrow night.

We started out in the triangle area,not much there.Headed down river toward Beaver Island Marina all muskies were hugging tight to the bottom . Barometric pressure was 30:48 rising and wind was out of the Northeast.Moved down to the shipyards,crossing upstream infront of the gas pump we finally hooked up a fish.Up and into the net scoop came a nice healthy 40" muskie.We quit at 11 pm and will spend all day tomorrow in the Buffalo Harbor . surface water temp was 55.6 degrees and floating weeds were mostly dieing grass.

We did a day trip starting at 10 am and ran up river to the Buffalo Harbor.North Gap did not have much to show around the walls.All the bait fish we marked was in the Buffalo River.Speard out through the day we caught a 33"er at 11:20:am,42"er at 2:15 pm and a 37 1/2" muskie at 7:20 pm.We called it the day at 8 pm.Gale Force Winds coming for Wednesday & Thursday, waves may reach 12 ft!

Waves reached 15 ft on Lake Erie Thursday with wind gusts to 62 mph and sustained winds of 35 mph.Today Saturday the Upper Niagara River is very brown,less then 1 ft visibility,with lots of floating decaying weeds,sticks,logs etc..

I will not get back on the water until Monday morning.

Started at 2 pm today,we ran from Sheridan Dr. Launch to the North Gap.At 2:35 pm we lost a Hawg close to the back of the boat.Then we went to 9:05 pm before the next hookup,a nice 39" muskie.The winds turned East and just about everything disappeared off the screen.Back out tomorrow at 4 pm!

Today we started at around 2 pm again in the Buffalo Harbor.At 3:35 pm a nice 40" muskie munched a Hi-Fin Trophy Diver Jtd 9" in Pearl White with Black Bars and Hot Pink Belly,shows up well in brown water.Once darkness set in everything disappeared from the screen.We quit early at 8 pm.My shadow from sun at my back,messes up the pix!

post-144733-0-37124600-1446691262_thumb.jpg

Edited by mostlymuskies

I'm now totally booked for the remainder of November Month.I have started my annual Gift of Fishing Certificate Program, Buy 1 Get 1 Free (Full Day Fishing Charter sun up to sundown for up to 2 persons)for $300,for 2016 season.Program ends the end of November,private email me or call 716-432-0198

Edited by mostlymuskies

Today the surface water temp behind the Buffalo Harbor walls was 55.4 degrees and out in Lake Erie I recorded 57.2 degrees.There were some bait fish still behind the walls because the water is still stained.The water out in Lake Erie was green tint and we marked the most big hooks out in 35 to 37 ft of water down 15 to 20 ft.Heavy winds coming tomorrow bringing more brown water.Today was a dink day,31"!

I got out this morning and we hooked up and landed a nice 41" muskie out in 36 ft of water on Lake Erie in front of Buffalo.Waves were starting to bump at 3 ft,so we quit around 10:45 am.Now at 5:40 PM there is next to no wind at all,so much for NOAA Weather and 40 mph winds with 8 ft waves. Back out in the morning.Surface water temp was 55.4 degrees out in 36 ft of water.

Edited by mostlymuskies

I will start at Noon today in the Buffalo Harbor and troll till Midnight with clients.Time is winding down for your chance to take advantage of my Gift of Fishing Certificate Program,Buy 1 Full Day Fishing Charter for $300 & Get 1 Free! Good for Chautauqua Lake,Buffalo Harbor or Niagara River.This offer ends at the end of November.Bad weather and heavy winds coming again on Thursday,winds to 35 + mph agian,more brown water!

Today was another day of catching small male muskies of 35 1/2" & 37".Water temp was 55.1 behind the Buffalo Harbor walls and 54.2 outside the walls.Water was about 5 ft visibility outside the walls and 2 ft inside the walls.Bait fish are still lacking for this time of the year.

Water temps on Lake Erie are 57 off Cleveland,55 off Erie and 54 off Buffalo that is 4 degrees warmer then this date last year.Everything seems to be about 3 weeks late this year,leaves just fell off my tree in the yard yesterday as well.Because of this warmer then normal times there are next to no bait fish in the Buffalo Harbor or Niagara River.What would help now would be a little snow hitting the water and a 4 degree cool down fast.I believe almost all of the big muskies are still hanging out in the depths of Lake Erie where the gizzard shad are.Time to get out trolling in 35 to 37 ft waters off Buffalo,but winds keep blowing strong,gale force winds coming tomorrow & Friday.December in Canadian waters will most likely be very good this year,but I will be in Costa Rica for Roosterfish with clients,then off to Guyana in rainforest with clients until March 3rd.

Edited by mostlymuskies

At first I was not going out yesterday,raked leaves up in the yard instead.Then at 5:30 pm I got that "Before the Storm Slob"going through my head.So off to the river I went,decided to launch from the Canadian side at Black Creek incase the winds picked up fast before morning.That was a mistake,got the half hour boat inspection at the Peace Bridge.Got to Black Creek launch off Niagara Parkway at 8:05 pm,did not get lines in the water until 8:30 pm.Trolling Perchbaits first action was at 9:10 pm a nice 39 1/2" muskie.Continued to pound bait fish pods up agains't shore edge where water from Black Creek was slightly warmer by a half degree.At 10:20 pm the kicker side rod drag went off again,a 37" muskie.Stayed on the spot till 1 am with no other hits.Upon returning to the dock at Black Creek launch was met by Canadian Customs Agent,got the 3rd degree about not calling CanPass.I asked well I was in Canada fishing after crossing the border at the Peace Bridge last night and never crossed into U.S. waters,stayed in Canadian waters.He went to his car for about 5 minutes with my passport and then returned asking why I launched from this side.I explained that big storm punching 40 mph winds were coming,but not sure when so decided to launch right where I would be fishing.Got no problem crossing back to the U.S.A..

Wind gust at Canadian Weather Buoy off gas wells in Lake Erie 62 mph at 2 pm,waves building at 7 ft going to 14 ft!Water will be brown for for a week after this storm,also logs,etc will come down the Niagara River.Hopefully this storm will wash out most of Lake Erie decaying weeds,so we can have some clean trolling waters in the river.

Edited by mostlymuskies