Have a reel? Want copper on it?

I asked an honest question was looking for an honest answer. Thanks anyway.

JAG, I was not trying to dodge your question. Sorry, I was more poking fun at some comical fellows here. Ray and I go back a long way being chop busters on each other, and the outhouse wiring is related to that. Les has actually given me a chance to illustrate in crude manner that every kind of reel has a volume capacity directly related to thickness of line or cord and how much linear conversion it has.

If you want a recommendation for a reel. My vote is for Daiwa 60 Seagate. 400 ft 45 lb blood run and 900 feet 30 lb power pro fit perfectly on a very fast reel. Narby $149.00 last I checked. Mono capacity 450 yards 30lb:lol:;)

Blood run sells prespooled Daiwa Seagate 60 but you will not get 400 feet of 45 lb copper from them. They only give you 300 ft of 45 lb AND UP TO 600 feet of their braid backing and the rest is core filler of mono not specified by their site. So you will not have 900 feet total of just braid backing because the unspecified mono is a thicker line. Especially if it is 30lb or up. 30 lb mono is exactly twice the thickness of 30 lb braid so there is obvious volume deficiency there. That's why they only give you 300 ft. Of 45 lb copper.

Only advantage to the mono at the spool core, is bite on the spool to keep it anchored and not creep under extremely hard pulls. I have NOT had that issue with straight braid and using an arbor knot and a small bit of electrical tape on the spool. If you want a 300 they will do that for about 218 bucks. If you want 400 copper, you do it yourself with just braid in 30 lb Power pro for backing at 900 feet.

If you want to do a 300 45 lb copper yourself, and still have the 900 feet of braid backing, you will have to do like blood run does, and buy a 300 yard filler spool of power pro, and find some 30 lb mono you have laying around and spool on the mono first.

Formula time.

Reel capacity 450 yards of 30 lb mono

30 lb mono is .022 diameter.

1÷.022= 45.45 squared=2066 linear inches per cubic inch (rounded)

2066÷36=57.4 yards per cubic inch

450 yards reel cap. ÷ 57.4 = 7.84 rounded

7.84 is the cubic volume of the Seagate 60

Your copper segment is 300 feet

76.5 feet of blood run copper 45 lb will fit into 1 cubic inch.

300÷76.5= 3.92 cubic inches

Your backing of power pro segment is 900 feet

689 feet of power pro 30 lb braid will fit into 1 cubic inch

900÷689=1.31 cubic inches

Your reel has volume of 7.84 cubic inches

-3.92 for copper segment

-1.31 for braid segment

=2.61 left for the mono core segment.

30 lb mono is .022 and we already know from above that 57.4 yards will fit a cubic inch.

2.61 left on the reel × 57.4 = 150 yards rounded. 450 feet! That might come in a measured reel fill package so you don't have to physically measure it. I know the power pro does and you don't have to measure it.

Total backing 900 braid and 450 mono is now 1350 feet and you have room right to the top of your spool for the 300 45 lb blood run copper.

YOU MUST USE THESE BRANDS LISTED. YOU CAN USE OTHERS BUT... Different manufacturer specs cause different line diameters and changes the outcome dramatically. Example Atomik is thicker so is AFW. so if you use those it will be a different out come.

You want it to be at the top for maximum efficiency of the reel. It's faster when full, it's drag works smoother when full.

How many cubic inches are on Rays Tuna reel? :huh:Capacity 803.6 yards of 30 lb mono?

57.4 yards fits into a cubic inch hint hint.

We've seen this before someplace..:D;)

Mark

Edited by skipper19

Mark you should have been a teacher....great explanation with detail :yes:  You and Ray should also be doing your act at the Comedy Club. You could give Ray a tin cup and have him without his shirt...probably cleanup on spare change anyway :lol:

Mark you should have been a teacher....great explanation with detail :yes: You and Ray should also be doing your act at the Comedy Club. You could give Ray a tin cup and have him without his shirt...probably cleanup on spare change anyway :lol:

:lol:..comedy club yes!..the one at point breeze ramp on weekends starring the Griswolds!...we need bleachers and sell tickets!

You haven't had any problems with 30 lbs PP for backing? Seems a little light to me.

No. 50 is too heavy and wastes space for copper. I also do not use any hardware connection that can wear the unions. Does any one need more than 30 when 30 is good enough for dipsey divers and rigger work? Just my opinion but most leaders are 30 or less too.

I think sometimes when a vicious strike comes on a diver when it trips can be hard shock on wire. It seems to take it well so I can't picture how 50 would save a break off when everything else is lighter. Basically you would loose everything but the backing in that sense, not saving anything.

I just did calculation for JAG on his reel for him. To use 50 lbs braid @ 900 feet trims 50 feet from copper 45lb. Compared to using same 900 ft of 30lb braid.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a roll of copper yesterday, and want to get it ready for the weekend. Its 30# and I think its 200 yards. How do do I attach backing and leaders, I heard just twisting it to the swivel, or crimping. I'm not going after kings on Ontario, I'll be using it on Champlain.

Don't use crimps on copper copper is too soft ....it is primarily used on stranded stainless steel wire.  There are many ways to do it but I tie the braid or mono backing to the reel with knot and then for a transition to the copper a Spro #8 power swivel (50 lb test) or the heavy duty inline version swivel (150 lb I think). then another#8 swivel for the fluoro leader to the copper. I just twist the copper a few tight revolutions at that section and tie whatever knot you feel confident in at the leader end and at the swivel as well.I use the clinch knot for them as I have never had one let go but many folks prefer the Palomar or others. Use a high quality SOLID RING ball bearing swivel at the terminal end. Since it won't be on Lake O I'd use good quality fluoro (e.g Seguar ) in about 20 lb test that way you can run most things without fear of breakage and since you aren't up toward the surface with the copper line visibility isn't an issue.

Edited by Sk8man