Have a reel? Want copper on it?

Find the yardage capacity for a specific monofilament line on any reel you may have. Most will list it someplace on the reel itself or, look it up. Calculate it's cubic volume based on that data.

The formula is based on a cubic inch volume for any given line and it's diameter in thousands of an inch.

Therefore, if you find the data on the reel you have in your hand, you can find its volume capacity. The reel has inscribed data suggesting it will hold say 350 yards of 30 lb mono. For simplicity I have added data on thickness of popular lines used in most copper setups below.

Power pro 30lb is .011

32 lb blood run is .030

45 lb blood run is .033

30 lb big game or Ande mono is .022

20 lb big game or Ande mono is .018

The formula needs a simple mathematical calculator. No special features.

You know 350 yards of 30 lb mono will fit your reel you have. Now find its cubic inch volume.

1÷.022=45.45 ... now square that answer

45.45×45.45=2066 rounded up. That is how many inches of 30lb mono line will fit in a cubic inch.

36 inches are in one yard. Your reel holds 350 yards × 36 = 12,600 inches that fits your reel.

Divide 12,600 by 2066 = 6.1 cubic inches rounded up. Your reel has a volume capacity of 6.1 cubic inches.

Now you can easily find the combined volume of each line component commonly used in a copper setup for your specific reel. Keep in mind you can use this formula for any reel or combination of lines you want. This is an example.

Most folks like to have about 900 feet of backing on coppers. Use that as your base to begin. It is first on your reel and dictates by diameter and length how much copper you can spool on AND leave room for a wind on flouro leader of up to 30 feet.

Let's use power pro 30 lb braid. Some like 50 lb, but I find that 30 is enough and 900 feet of 30 takes less space than 900 feet of 50. Besides you are trying to get a specific length copper which is important for depth repeatability along with having enough backing for other deployment devices in play, such as, boards, or out riggers or stacking.

Again the same formula applies. Find the backing volume required first. Power pro 30lb is. 011 diameter.

1÷.011=90.91 rounded up (notice it's half the .022 mono)

90.91×90.91=8,265 rounded up. That is the inches of 30lb power pro that will fit in 1 cubic inch. Divide it by 12 to get feet per cubic inch = 689 feet in one cubic inch. You want 900 feet of backing so 900÷689=1.31 cubic inches for your 900 foot backing.

Your reel is 6.1 cu in and now the 900 foot backing will consume 1.31 of that.

6.1-1.31=4.66 cubic inch left for copper and leader.

Now you can find out how much copper you can spool on. 32 lb blood run or 45 lb. That's the question.

Let's do 32 lb first that has a .030 diameter. Same formula again.

1÷.030=33.33×33.33=1111 rounded up.

1111 inches of 32lb copper in a cubic inch. 1111÷12 = 92.5 feet in a cubic inch.

You have 4.66 cubic inches on top of your backing calculation still remaining. So 4.66 × 92.5 = 431

You can fit 400 feet of 32 lb copper and a 30 foot 30lb wind on flouro leader!

You want 45lb? (.033 diameter )

1÷.033 = 30.30 × 30.30 = 918 ÷ 12 = 76.5

76.5×4.66=356 feet you can spool 330 feet of 45lb copper and a 30 foot flouro leader. I would make it a 300 45 lb copper and have a little room to spare.

Any reel any line with diameter data and yardage capacity of your reel.

Edited by skipper19

Got that in metric?

Just playing...well thought out. Good post Skipper!

:)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

na..that would make it way too simple

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Umm..😕.. Come again?..😕

OK I will come again...wait..just good once as I ever was.

Think of a 1 inch cube. Then cut power pro in 1 inch lengths. Lay the strands next to each other straight and tight. That's one row across the bottom of the cube that contains 90.91 strands st .011 thickness of the line. It would take the same amount of 1 inch strands to lay up the side of the cube and to fill the cube you would have to keep laying strands across 90.91 times until the cube is filled solid to the top.

90.91×90.91= 8,264.6 rounded to 8,265 one inch strands to fill the cube. You just cut 8,265 one inch strands of power pro to fill that little cube! Wow! That was a lot of scissor work. Hope this helps!

8265 inches divided by 12 inches in a foot equals 688.75 feet in that one inch cube. 689 rounded up.

You can determine what NEW reel you want to buy to accommodate any combination of lines by working backwards with it.

You want a reel to fit 100 feet of copper. You also want to use a monofilament buffer for flea repel when attaching diving devices, dive bomb, stackers, what ever, and a shock absorber for vicious striking kings. You don't want a reel that is like farm equipment and slow cause it's a short copper for kids or fisher women and meant to be an easy-to-use light rod and reel so you want some power pro on the bottom of the reel for backing to reduce the amount of volume and keep the rig small. You want a fast retrieve over 6 to 1 ratio and you know some reels fill that bill. You'll look for one based on those facts and what you want to put on it for lines. High speed and small search online reveals an Okuma clarion443 that could work.

Three different lines and a 30 foot flouro leader. I want a reel that will be small but fit all three lines and don't want to measure all the braid out unless I have a good line winder and footage counter. Just so happens the tackle shop sells pre-measured power pro in 150 yard filler spools. That's 450 feet! We know already 689 feet is in a cubic inch so 450÷689= .65 cubic inch.

OK the 100 foot copper is next cause that's the length we want.

We already know that the calculation was 92.5 feet of 32 lb blood run will fit in a cubic inch. For simplicity I would just reserve a full cubic inch for the 100 copper.

Now the variable is the monofilament middle section. Doesn't matter what it's length is as long as it is enough to repel fleas, give some stretching shock for strikes and provide a point to attach releases off of the copper to keep it from getting damaged. It also has to fill the rest of the volume on the reel after 1 cubic inch for copper and .65 cubic inch for power pro...total 1.65 cubic inch.

The clarion 443 has a yardage capacity of 290 for 30 lb mono. We already know from previous calculation that 2066 inches of 30lb mono will fit a cubic inch. Divide that by 36 and you get 57.4 yards that fit the cubic inch.

The reel holds 290 yards divided by 57.4 and equals 5.05 cubic inch capacity of the clarion reel.

5.05 - 1.65 (total consumed by braid and copper) =3.4 cubic inches left for the 30 lb mono middle section.

3.4 × 57.4 yards (in a cubic inch) = 195 yards rounded. Thats 585 feet for the mono middle section and the flouro leader 585 minus the 30 foot flouro leader leaving 555 feet of Ande or big game 30 lb mono. Make it 500 feet and you have a little comfort room left.

Measure 100 feet out with a tape or a laser range finder and walk it to that point 5 times and reel the mono up tight on top of the braid. 950 feet total backing braid and mono on the reel. Roll on the 100 foot copper section, tie on your flouro leader and you are done.

High speed and small reel. 950 total backing with mono and braid. 100 feet of copper 32 lb. And leader. Great for the ladies and kids and it's flexible to use from depths of 20 feet to 200 or more feet (stacked rigger cables.)

1.0 cubic inch for copper

.65 cubic inch for braid

3.08 cubic inch for mono and leader

4.73 total cubic inches and that fits this clarion with .32 cubic inches breathing room left with a fast retrieve and smaller frame. I will buy that reel for this combination I want.

Ok now go have fun!

Edited by skipper19

Here, I'll make it simple. Just remember 57.4 yards of 30 lb mono fills a cubic inch.

If you find a reel you want and it's specs reveal a yardage capacity for 30 lb mono, just Divide the yardage by 57.4 and now you know it's volume capacity.

Since we always seem to assemble copper reels in terms of feet, just multiply yardage by 3 to get feet.

Puzzle....

Ray found a reel that holds 803.6 yards capacity of 30 lb mono (.022 diameter). How many cubic inches is the volume of that reel?

Then he (because he is a manly man :blink:) decided to put 900 feet of 45 lb copper (1÷.033 diameter squared) on it. How many cubic inches will that leave him for 30 lb braid backing (1÷.011 diameter squared)?

How many feet of backing will he need to put on his reel first to fill the reel along with the 45 lb copper?

And your answers are?

Edited by skipper19

Not a math teacher...I think I was a dog. Still chasing cars to get off on the exhaust!

Les, I had to leave my better half (the one that drives while I sleep) home for 10 days. Now I gotta park the truck for 10 hours after every 14 log duty hours. I can't sleep when the truck is still....who sleeps for 10 hours! Dumb log hour rules! These magazines are gonna spoil before they are delivered!

There are answers men! Get your calculators! Hey if muskybob can be a legendary LOU guy, I want be just like that too!:o:blink::blink::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Skipper19 you say "Most folks like to have about 900 feet of backing on coppers"

What reel do you put 900 ft of backing on with 300 or 400 ft of copper?

Skipper19 you say "Most folks like to have about 900 feet of backing on coppers"

What reel do you put 900 ft of backing on with 300 or 400 ft of copper?

One that fits it. There's a formula someplace for it. Depending on the Guage of outhouse wiring on my orange cord winder and the aluminum primary wire for backing....sorry...couldn't resist.

What size is the thickness of your backing and your copper and do you want fast retrieve or farm equipment slow and powerful.

The point I'm trying to make here is that there are a lot of variables. thicknesses of different kinds of lines, different reel retrieves and so forth so if you want to know what the outcome is, use the formula. Do the puzzle that's up above and you'll have the information and to know how to figure out what kind of reel it is that you want to put what size line on. Or the reel you NOW HAVE can hold how much copper with how much backing.

Dammit! I just put 100 feet of outhouse copper wiring on top of my aluminum wire that's on my orange cord winder....now it's tangled off the spool all over the floor...guess I'll cut it off. Shouldn't happen if I knew that formula somebody did.