Fish hawk install

Instructions say to mount as close to keel as possible. 2 sets of directions. I ended up placing it as close to the keel as possible. When I called fish hawk they couldnt get me a straight answer today. Want to use it tomorrow and any help/suggestions would be great. I will include a pic of where it is now.

Not sure if you've seen this, but it's the Fish Hawk installation instructions from their website.  Depending on what kind of and how many motors you have will dictate where you should mount the ducer.  I have a single 200 hp Merc, and have the ducer mounted as a mirror image of my sonar transducer.

http://www.fishhawkelectronics.com/documents/FH_X4-X4D_Owners_Manual_6_23_14.pdf

Edited by cmbomysoad

I jutted mounted mine last week and I put mine on the port side opposite side of the fish finder. 1/2" below the transom and it works fine. Make sure you calibrate the speed to a GPS unit. I put mine a foot under the water and then calibrated it. It was off .9 mph.

Just curious...not saying what you did was wrong.

Why would you calibrate it to GPS speed?  It's a paddle wheel.  Paddle wheel and GPS speed are never the same.  GPS speed typically reads slower than paddle wheel speed does.  Am I right?

I would think you would want your surface Fishawk paddle wheel to read speed over water, not speed over ground like your GPS. Found this somewhere online and it's explained better than I probably could have done myself.

GPS provides speed-over-ground, which is not necessarily the same as speed-over-water. When you're on a non-flowing body-of-water, such as most lakes, the speed-over-water is approximately equal to the speed-over-land. However, if you ride on a flowing river, your speed-over-water will be different than your speed-over-land, as the water is moving relative to the ground beneath it. How much of an issue this is depends on how fast the water is flowing, and your sensitivity to it.

Edited by Ivan

That is interesting. I did it to match lure speed. The speed read 3.3 and I was running DW SS spoons me I know they don't run at that speed.

My instruction sheet said to mount 1/4-5/8". I don't think it really matters but when I run at full speed I have no blow back.