Seneca 6/20 WTH

Granted the weather has been wacky, to say the least and lots of debris, but I've been fishing this lake for over 20 years and can't believe how tough it is this year! For certain, the worst I've experienced. One small landlock and one avg. laker yesterday ( 6+ hours on the lake), and one landlock today after 5 hours not moving a rod. We'll be into fleas and weeds in another couple weeks and never even saw a "spring bite". Sorry for the rant, just getting frustrated, looking for insights, ideas, or suggestions on what's going on with the fish or what to try next.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Definitely slow...I tend to have better luck at first light. As soon as you can see to get your stuff out. Use glow spoons and make sure they are charged!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did hook three saw bellies on single hook spoons so there is plenty for the fish

to eat.

I think that your last sentence answered the question and they may be eating at night or in the early hours of AM. Always harder when there is a lot of bait available.

Competing against the bait!! Too much. Had a discussion with Dec biologists Friday about this. He said they are under the impression that there is a lack of bait in the flx. Which is why they raised alker limit to reduce prey on bait so other gosh can thrive. We spoke for a while. I mentioned that I believe the bait is plentiful!

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fished the north end on Friday and Saturday. Friday my wife joined me and we jigged for about three hours with nothing to show in the north wind but a number of follows which has been the year for me up to this point. Saturday I went solo with a the south breeze, and started off trolling spoons, copper with a flatfish, and a Spin Doctor/Fly combo behind a Dipsey. About the time I got the Dipsey rod set it started thumping bad. I thought I hooked bottom since I was in less than 40 feet of water. When I grabbed the rod and tried to jerk it free, I realized it was a fish and the line snapped....brilliant. Reset the dipsey and in less than five minutes it was bouncing again.

I spent the next hour with the SD/fly combo off the dipsey and another on the rigger down 40 feet. I ditched the copper as with those two rods I was constantly setting a rod or reeling a Laker, sometimes two. That's when my back went south and I was forced to call it a day. The bait in the area I fished was incredible. The bulk of the time the screen on my graph was better than half color with bait, and I snagged a bunch of sawbellies. I also managed a small Landlock on a Sutton that I had on as a sliding cheater. I too have been wondering where the bait and fish had disappeared to. Saturday I found them. I just hope I can find them again next weekend. Stay after them, they're out there!

I think I saw you in front of Sampson Sat . I was in the 21' trophy just crusing. took my 6 yr old and 3 yr old girls  out to fish with their Barbie poles and ride just cruise. Made one pass in front of Sampson , popped a small laker and that's it. Def not the same Seneca this year!

I think I saw you in front of Sampson Sat . I was in the 21' trophy just crusing. took my 6 yr old and 3 yr old girls  out to fish with their Barbie poles and ride just cruise. Made one pass in front of Sampson , popped a small laker and that's it. Def not the same Seneca this year!

Yes, that was me and I remember seeing your trophy. I was all over the lake on Saturday looking for anything promising. The one landlock we boated was just north of Sampson though didn't mark much of anything there in the usual spots. Saw lots of bait on the west side but not much of anything on the east side.

Competing against the bait!! Too much. Had a discussion with Dec biologists Friday about this. He said they are under the impression that there is a lack of bait in the flx. Which is why they raised alker limit to reduce prey on bait so other gosh can thrive. We spoke for a while. I mentioned that I believe the bait is plentiful!

Agree 100% been a lot of bait for 5 years or better..... still don,t get all my skunks .... got to be a dummy or 3 out there for me somewhere.....LOL

Ed, don't feel bad. I haven't caught a fosh on seneca since Monday of the derby. Embarrassing I know, but the south end is gone. Let me know if you find it. Plus I haven't taken the boat out. Too dangerous last week... Be out all 4 days this weekend

It was iffy last time out , junk , colored water , had Carols brother first time on my new boat, also Hoot......worked my butt off , with 3 or 4 hits , no hook_ups, ill give you a heads up....raining now ,