Adirondack tigers

Thanks! I would say ours are dark. I don't see many with the dark bodies like the ones by me. They say it has more to do with the strain they're produced from, but I think it has a little to do with the water/ environment as well.

Jay

The only tiger musky hatchery in New York is the South Otselic Hatchery. I think all stocked tigers in the state come from there. I am not sure where they get their eggs or what they use for brood stock. Of course there are some naturally occurring tigers but, Jay, aren't the tigers you are catching stocked?

This is the only thing I could find that suggests that all tigers stocked in the state come from the South Otselic Hatchery.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html

If they all come from the same hatchery, I am thinking that the color is all related to environment. It would be interesting to find out what influence various environmental factors have on the color and darkness.

That's very interesting Steve. I'm going to be meeting with David Erway from our region out of the Utica office when they survey the lakes up my way. I'll be sure to ask these questions. He's the one who said it's more from breeding than environmental, but I really feel as though the environment has a much bigger factor than he is telling me. The lakes around me were absolutely wiped out from acid rain, in the 80's I believe, and since have bounced back quite nicely. I think that disaster has somewhat impacted things for good and the long term effects may have something to do with it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

As far as the surveying goes, I wish they weren't setting gill nets. David says they rarely encounter muskies in them, but I'm sure it happens. My main interest is seeing what the main forage will be. My guess is perch, but it's hard telling. I've set perch under traps in the winter, and they don't want anything to do with them. 1lb+ suckers, creek chubs and trout seem to interest them much more.

The tigers at Otselic come from New Jersey. I personally believe the color differences come from their environment but I am far from a biologist. My thoughts are that the darker tigers I have seen have all been from darker Adirondack waters. Any fish I've seen from typically "clearer" bodies of water have all looked like lighter. These are my observations as a "casual" fisherman, I don't quite have the experience others on this site do.

Got back out last night for a few hours with my little brother. I'll tell you what, he picks up stuff fast for being 7 years old. He will most definitely have the muskie disease as well. No fish, but we had a blast.

post-154569-14362284449734_thumb.jpg

post-154569-14362284750858_thumb.jpg

Edited by FishinNY

• 2 weeks later...

This mid 30's fish hit before I was even fully setup. As you can see, it hit a pink tiger baker which was 8' over 32'. It was definitely the thickest fish for its length I've caught. One of these days I'll get away from the smaller fish. Hard to find the extra time lately.

post-154569-1437337801684_thumb.jpg

post-154569-14373378150938_thumb.jpg

post-154569-14373378316129_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been quiet, but not because I haven't been fishing. I just haven't been catching. From the middle of July up until this week, water temps have been in the 70's. Once that happened, it has been very tough to get on fish.

In the last week, temps have come down to the mid 60's, and the fishing is on. Between 930am and 130pm I put 6 fish in the boat. Once the wind picked up, they were on. 3 of the fish I didn't measure or bring out of the water. 2 of the fish were 37" and the biggest was a fat 40" with a 21" girth. 5" Bakers got the job done once again.

I've been quiet, but not because I haven't been fishing. I just haven't been catching. From the middle of July up until this week, water temps have been in the 70's. Once that happened, it has been very tough to get on fish.

In the last week, temps have come down to the mid 60's, and the fishing is on. Between 930am and 130pm I put 6 fish in the boat. Once the wind picked up, they were on. 3 of the fish I didn't measure or bring out of the water. 2 of the fish were 37" and the biggest was a fat 40" with a 21" girth. 5" Bakers got the job done once again.

post-154569-14426940199675_thumb.jpg

post-154569-14426940584438_thumb.jpg

post-154569-14426940731504_thumb.jpg