Bass opener.

How's everyone making out fishing BRB, Henderson and Chaumont? We only picked up a few LMB and not a single smallie yet. Fished mostly spinners the last two days. The wind on Sunday made it tough to fish a worm without anchoring. Seems roostertails outperformed mepps 4:1 for us. White was the hot color. Then black.

Last weekend in Henderson, I saw a bunch of smallies but they looked to still be on their nests and wouldn't hit anything. My camp neighbors haven't done well yet either. Are things slow to start? I think we had late ice, then a warm dry May and a wet June so far, maybe the unusual spring has them turning on late?

How'd the tournaments do this past weekend? I'll be back at it later this week and post how I make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I took a big skunk with an 0 for 4 on opening day.  It was very humbling.  I have not dialed them in yet but I have noticed that a lot of the areas I fished are in transition.  Some were prespawn, and some were post spawn.  I took a day off work 2 weeks ago and two of us caught 58 according to my ticker.  nothing over 17" but only a few dinks.

I was using soft plastics (finesse worm rigs) and color, weight, and size mattered.  It has been different everytime I have been out.  Black is a staple, but putting blue or purple in the mix is helping.  They haven't seemed to want the 4inch either so I have been catching everything on 6-7 inch.  Last year I caught most of my quality fish on 4in black and this year is a big zero.  I don't know but I am assuming it is a transitional thing and will get better if the summer ever decides to get hot.

Glad to see someone is catching them. How deep have you been catching them I have had no luck this year with the smallies. I live in the Rochester area. Any advice would help I'm lost

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

August will be better and September better yet.  I am thinking that the fall bite will be spectacular - which means I will have decisions to make.

Keep at it.  If it was easy it would be called "getting" instead of "fishing".  Those fish will eat anything so the trick is to find out what they want and when they want it.

well thats good. I caught a pig smallie trolling for wallies few weeks ago but that was it. Couple LMB fishing the marsh right by camp. I'm not a super big fan of trolling, but my camp neighbor only trolls in his little 14' alum boat. never casts at all. I was starting to think I was an idiot for fishing a texas rig and mepps up there. Fished Wellesley Island last summer and had several 100+ fish days between 3 guys.....Hit black lake too the other week and I got 2 small LMB other two guys skunked. Guys at the ramp had worse luck than me. Gotta do something soon or I'm selling everything and learning how to golf.

Went to Chaumont today. Pretty dismal day. Fished cherry island, crab island, top of guffin bay, herrick shoal and Johnson shoal. Picked up two smallies and one LMB. Black buck tail with orange tube and an orange bay rat. Managed to tangle the front fish finders transducer cable in the trolling motor and cut it in half, then broke the windshield on the boat..... Maybe tomorrow will be a smoother day. Thinking about poking around Henderson for awhile.

After a stop at henchens for some buck tails, I fished big shoal, six mile pt, lime barrel, gull island. Whites bay, snowshoe bay and Campbell shoal. Not even a bite. Threw bay rats, buck tails, rattletraps, storm minnows, drop shot and Texas rigged plastics, mepps and everything else I had along......nada. Had one rock bass chasing on Campbell and that was it. Talked to two guys prefishing a tourney out of Kingston and they weren't doing much either. Said the few fish they got were puking baitfish and they're suspended. My fish finder showed the same thing. They picked up 3 smallies before bugging out. Saw lots of bass boats around Henderson but they were moving positions just as much as I was so I assume they weren't doing much either. What the crap is going on? I've never struggled this much to catch bass even back home in PA!!! Is anyone doing anything?? Neighbors at camp seem to be doing as poorly as me.