Cannon Swivel Bases - Check for cracks

Fishing Friday almost lost a rigger overboard due to failure of swivel base. Barely grabbed by rod holder to save it.  Would have been a thousand dollar loss. After a few WTF's checked bases on three other riggers and one was also cracked. Running Mag 10 STX's new last year with cannon dual axis rod holders with 15 lb torpedo's. Have them tied down now to the Bert's 4" risers just in case.  Suggest guys using them check for cracks in theirs.  Will be contacting Cannon regarding this issue.

post-152890-0-78251200-1434984467_thumb.jpg

post-152890-0-95512100-1434984477_thumb.jpg

The swivel base pictured looks like an older style. If any of you purchase a new replacement base, the current revised style is Cannon part # 3991913. In my opinion, I wouldn't buy one of the older styles lots of places are selling online. You're likely to face a similar problem down the road.

Here's a picture of the new upgraded base:

http://www.fish307.com/cannon-low-profile-swivel-base/

Plastics , heavy dr weights,& rough water, bad combo.

That's why I like my Brutes the flex in the booms is very forgiving on cables and probes a weights when the water is rough and choppy . Any solid boom rigger is hard on the boat and the gear.

That's what they sent me John and they told me the new ones are made from carbon fiber which is a stronger plastic than the old style. I'm sure Cannon will replace them, they did for me. Time will tell how well they hold up I suppose?

Thanks for the heads-up Dan. Cannon must have spent a week of r&d on these new model riggers.

Does Cannon offer insurance? They should... or maybe not. They'd go under if they did.

I really like the rigger itself and they have functioned perfectly for me this far. Just don't understand why they would mate it with an obvious complete piece of garbage. In a blink of an eye a rigger could be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the bases and boom ends that have experienced problems were items sourced from a third party that cut corners. 

I have to wonder how many people badmouthing Cannon have contacted Cannon and been turned down on a replacement part? In my rather large circle of fishing friends I don't know of a single person who didn't get their problem resolved to their satisfaction.

When I experienced a problem with one of my boom ends, Cannon sent me free replacements for all my registered riggers.

I wouldn't be surprised if cannon sends you free stainless replacements if you calmly and professionally explain your situation, what you've experienced, provide pictures, and make it clear that you will not trust the plastics anymore. Ask me how I know.

Edited by FleetTracker

I contacted Canon on this very same subject 6 months ago. Was told to send in my old ones and they were replaced free of charge with new ones. The new ones have a metal plate on the top as shown in the picture previously.

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the bases and boom ends that have experienced problems were items sourced from a third party that cut corners. 

I have to wonder how many people badmouthing Cannon have contacted Cannon and been turned down on a replacement part? In my rather large circle of fishing friends I don't know of a single person who didn't get their problem resolved to their satisfaction.

When I experienced a problem with one of my boom ends, Cannon sent me free replacements for all my registered riggers.

When the first one cracked, they quickly sent me a new base of the same style.  When the second one cracked, it had been 3 years and I was not aware of the new design and had decided to go with the stainless base and did not even consider calling them.

Based on this thread, I called and they sent me two "kits" (3881958) to upgrade my old plastic swivel mounts.  They are still mostly "reinforced" plastic, but have a key added element of an aluminum support plate.  Even if the plastic does crack (and they say it is stronger), the downrigger is not going overboard with the aluminum support plate.

Even if your low profile swivel mounts have not cracked yet, I would call and get the upgrade kit.

I too, received the new boom ends earlier this year, and they work great!

Sometimes when you buy the latest model there is some risk of issues until all the hardware and software quirks are worked out.  But Cannon has stood behind their product, quickly providing any parts or upgrades shipped FedEx.  Johnson Outdoors in general has had good customer service repairing my hummingbird sonar, which was a few months out of warranty, for no charge!

I prefer the stuff I buy to be perfect, but when not, appreciate good customer service.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got thru to Cannon regarding the swivel bases today. They offered to replace all four swivels, but I stated that my confidence in the plastic swivels was non existent and would prefer to upgrade to the 4" swivel pedestals paying the difference of  $ 20.00 each.  They agreed and are sending them out. Should have them within 7 days.  Will keep forum updated as to their quality when I have them in my hands.  Customer Service was good once I actually talked to a human being. Got no response from emails sent. 800 number is a joke, steady busy signal whenever I tried which was many. Called Johnson Outdoors number on that site which directed me to cannon that got me disconnected twice. Used the Minn Kota link and was able to speak to some one there that got problem solved.