Owasco Derby Weekend Recap

To piggyback off Justin's comment, many anglers and hell even hunters feel their voices are not being heard or respected by our know it all DEC. In fairness to them they really receive few calls, letters, and emails from anglers until an unpopular decision is made. I believe in Owasco's case the DEC only surveyed 12 anglers to make their determination. I feel your pain and agree we have enough trout streams and lakes in our region and to me it appears the DEC's goal is to make Otisco a predominantly tiger-musky lake. However, you can always email Dave Lemon and his staff at region 7 and they will respond to your email, does it help? I don't know but it sure can't hurt!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I believe in Owasco's case the DEC only surveyed 12 anglers to make their determination. 

Can you confirm this?  I received a survey in the mail as did my dad, and bother.  I would find it hard to believe that we're 25% of the survey sample.  

Alex1young great question! I cannot confirm this as I am going from my memory banks of what I read/heard a year or two ago but I what I do feel confident in saying is the response was very very low.

While I have no problem debating issues with DEC and sometime disagree with their programs, they do work for all of us and need input(disagree and agree). Plenty of organizations out there that meet with DEC on a monthly basis. That being said just as much lies with us as Alex said. A lot of misinformation get thrown out there and the becomes "truth". First, there were 2000 surveys, not 12, that went out, most to those holding licenses within county,  then rest within region. Can't remember the total return, but it was not great. Shame on us!! Plus they survey was not the endall regardless of wich way it tilted, just another tool to make descisions. Next, walleye are not native as one post mentioned. I actually have been around long enough to have heard fishermen talk about their putting walleye in during 40's and 50's caught from other lakes. They are an introduced species. Remember browns were introduced as well, not native. Walleye are native to central US and Canada. Also regardless of what we expect from DEC, many of these lakes are difficult to manage post alwife introduction along with other invasives.. Otsego lake fishery crashed big time as well  as they were were stocked with walleye and lakers to get rid of the millions of alwives. Bad things happened there. Before we send out information we need to get facts. Go to meetings within counties and regions. We have a voice and they do listen to those who come to them with facts or concerns.

Several points:

According to the 2013 Owasco Angler Diary Cooperator summary, the number of surveys was 2000+. Surveys were sent out at random. I was ticked off at DEC at the time because we had been told at a state of the lake meeting that a survey was coming and we were even asked to sign up for it ( I stayed after the meeting to do this) I as cold water diary cooperator I felt I was a stakeholder- but I wasn't selected to participate.

The Saunders Fishing Guide (1986) states on page 217 that: "At one time walleye were the principle gamefish in this lake. Their population collapsed after 1948".

Also, I have been told that there was a high water event around 10 years ago, were it was reported that thousands of adult walleye were flushed from the lake into Owasco Outlet. That's a one way trip, once the go downstream, they can't come back.

The number of warm water cooperators on Owasco is quite low (and some concentrate on bass or pike, not walleye) so the data DEC receives probably doesn't accurately reflect the conditions in the lake.