Fishawk Break away cable ?

Do you just buy them or do you make your own ? My break away cable broke a couple of years ago and haven't used my fishawk since.Would like to start using it again. last time I priced them they seemed a little pricey but then again so are rigger balls so I am a little nervous to make my own.Any thoughts would be welcome .If you make your own and have had good luck with them I would be happy to buy a couple at a fair price thanks.

I don't use the break away cable. Instead I use the downriver snubbers make by Amish Outfitters. Had them on for 2 years so far and not a single problem. You want some sort of give for when your lowering and raising the ball so that decreases the chances of the cable breaking.

I always thought thar the break away cable is there in case the rigger gets caught on something (ground,rocks,tree) and the break away cable will snap instead of the main cable.It is specially designed to save your probe in case of a hangup. I make my own with 60 pound test steel leader and so far I was lucky enough not to have them tested.

I suggest a snubber, I had the wire pull out of a crimp on the Fish Hawk break away leader when I hit a wave with the ball up causing it to bounce hard. I still had the probe but lost the ball. So good for the 100lb test if the crimp fails. Now I use the Amish downrigger snubber and a the breakaway, but I re-did it with the cannon style crimp ends.