Transom Ladder Replacement (now holes to fill)

jimalbert

Hey guys.. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on filling 1/4 in holes in my boat transom.  First let me state that the transom (and stringers etc...) are all aluminum and there isn't a piece of wood anywhere.  I bought what was described as an exact fit replacement transom ladder because my other one was bent.  I put it together last night and the width of the existing mounting brackets were perfect but the length of the new ladder was longer so I am going to have to re-drill.  What do you guys suggest for filling the holes?  I was going to just put stainless bolts in with a good below the line sealant but thats going to look like crap.  Other thought was using aluminum brazing rods to fill it back up but I dont want to screw the paint up.  Rivets?  I hate to have stuff drilled all over the transom but I dont have much of a choice in the matter.

Thanks,

Jim

I use the stuff from west marine called MarineRx it is a 2 part putty and is hard as concrete when dry. Here is a link

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--marine-rx-epoxy-repair-kit-2-oz--13967443 

This is the marine tex same as west marine stuff just different brand

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/travaco--marine-tex-repair-kit--P004_120_005_502 

Edited by Chas0218

Thanks Chas, thats what I was looking for.  I was just sitting here and realized how much of an idiot i am.  The ladder is 2 pieces and it is unlike my old ladder in that the upper section (that mounts to the top cap and transom) isnt one piece like the old one.  Theres an actual bracket that mounts to the 1" aluminum tube that then mounts to the transom.  if I cut that pipe and redrill the holes for the step I should be able to get it to fit the old mounts just fine.  Its only like 1" so it wont make a huge difference.  I drew a red line to where I would cut it off and re-drill the holes.  

ladder.gif

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Put a bolt threw the hole with rubber washer an some epoxy tighten it down. Won't leak

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app