18FT Boat Set Up

I'm looking to set my 18ft Deep V Fishing Boat for the Lake. I have a LOWE Fishing Machine.  I grew up fishing the lake but on a much larger boat. I was wondering what I should set this boat up with to go out and catch some fish. Does anyone have any picture of their set ups?

I don't have pics but I have a recent video that I did for lakers on Lake Erie.  I have a 18.5 ft Lund Tyee I think is getting near complete in my set-up and might help you with yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_5YW3JZ2E

- 36" Berts tracks on each side with Berts rod holders for dipseys

- 2 of the 6" Berts tracks on each side - 1 for the Rod Tree and 1 for the Rigger per side

- 2 Quad Rod Trees from Great Lakes Planers

- 2 Cannon manual downriggers with swivel bases and Berts 4" risers

- 1 6" Berts track at bow with Berts Planer Board Mast

I use my boat for fishing and for duck hunting in the winter so all my fishing gear can come off in a matter of 10 minutes (minus the electronics).  Just got a Fish Hawk X4D right before I made this video.  I got all the track inserts also so when it's hunting season the rod holders come off and the inserts go in to protect the tracks from the layout boat, etc.  I just need more rod combos now.... :rofl:

Here's my 195 GLS. Sorry tried doing a panoramic. Basic layout;

4 Cannons 5ST Electrics

2 Dispsey rod holders. Can swap with triple tubes for planer

Cannon dual boom bow mount

2 Triple tubes in splash well for storage.

Electronics : FH, Lowrance, Raymarine AP

Hope it helps

post-150509-14351081705277_thumb.jpgpost-150509-14351081939546_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Frogger's setup works VERY well cfindlay and in my view it is about as good as it gets in an 18-20 footer. Whatever you decide to do in the way of "specifics" of placements (e.g. rod holders, downriggers etc.)  make sure you take the time to actually get in the boat with the specific tackle you'll be using in them and do a "mock up" with them. Sometimes you can avoid some real pain in the A problems such as things being in the way of each other or certain places better than others BEFORE drilling holes and actually installing anything. :)

Edited by Sk8man

post-151421-14351220639957_thumb.jpg

Get triple/quad trees. Wether u run Inlines or big boards with a mast they're one of the best things you can equip on your boat. Riggers on the corners. Dipsey holders on the sides. Chute rod holder is handy. The options are endless... Just think it through and plan it out to do it right once and not half a$$ed a few times to get what you really desire.

Have fun!!!

Dipsy rods are more effective than riggers. Inline planers work well early on. Keep it simple starting up. That being said three rod holders on each side will keep two fishermen occupied. A combo graph/chart plotter will be good enough. A vhf radio and your cell phone for safety, add more toys as time and your budget allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1435122062.332368.jpg

Get triple/quad trees. Wether u run Inlines or big boards with a mast they're one of the best things you can equip on your boat. Riggers on the corners. Dipsey holders on the sides. Chute rod holder is handy. The options are endless... Just think it through and plan it out to do it right once and not half a$$ed a few times to get what you really desire.

Have fun!!!

I 2nd this, trees are well worth they money, I prefer quads.

This may seem weird but sit in your boat in your typical seat and use some C-clamps or something to attach the rigger/ rod holders temporarily to see if you like the position.  If you do move to another seat or move around the boat like you normally would if rigging gear. This way you know everything is out of the way and won't change the flow of movement around your boat. You really don't want to mount something then find out 4 more inches forward would have been perfect or out of the way of the bimini or the big board planer line catches on the bimini when up....

Guys, Thanks for the advice. Here is my plan so far. riggers on each corner and dipsy rods on the sides. I will deffiently take your advice and mock it up before anything is drilled into place.

I have a 959Ci HD DI on the Dash and a 859CI HD DI on the bow, I will be investing in a Fish Hawk as well.

Guys, Thanks for the advice. Here is my plan so far. riggers on each corner and dipsy rods on the sides. I will deffiently take your advice and mock it up before anything is drilled into place.

I have a 959Ci HD DI on the Dash and a 859CI HD DI on the bow, I will be investing in a Fish Hawk as well.

Just something to think about it is easier to get to the riggers mid ship than on the corners especially in rougher water.

Edited by Chas0218

It is almost always a "trade off" as far as rigger placement and number used (e.g. 3 vs. 4 etc.) and the corners usually give you a little better variety of angles to choose from (using swivel bases) whereas the side placements are easier to get to and usually easier on the back. It is one of the reasons I have the 4 gimbal mounts ( two recessed near the corners and 2 more toward the seats) so I can switch around my rod holders and the riggers to suit the conditions and whether I'm fishing solo or not as well.

Edited by Sk8man

I have a 17'6" SC superfisherman and like sk8man said I mocked it up before drilling and screwing anything down permanently. I did use tracks on the back 2 corners so I could move rod holders around and one of the downriggers is on the track, the other DR is forward of the gas fill, otherwise I would have put the longer track on both sides (36" on one side and 24" on the other). Then I put scotty rod holder bases in a few different spots so you can move them around as needed.

Watch for seats when setting rod holders (ie I have one seat that hits the butt of the rod in the holder and everytime I hit it we think there is a fish on). I'll try to take pics this weekend.

This thread did get thinking about triple and quad trees also.

I have a 180 SC superfisherman, and I would love to have some quad trees... but if its not in your budget you, grab some plastic rod holders like scotty and such. Bass Pro was having a sale a couple weeks... were selling 2pacs for 11$ i picked up 3 packs.. but then again they haven't been ran through the gauntlet yet!!!! and I would never put a dipsy rod in them! your going to need hd rod holders for that, and not adding dipsy's to any spread is a mistake!

on another note, I did pick up an older garmin gps unit here for cheap and I can't believe the detail it has for how old it is. 

Get 2 factory Lowe downrigger mounts. Or do the track system. I have a 2005 175 Lowe FS. I mounted my riggers right where the casting platform steps up in the back. That way I can stand on the lower part of the floor when setting. I installed tite-lok rod holders...1 half-way between the dr plate and windshield. And 1 behind the rigger...equidistant from the rear cleat. If I could it over again, I would do a 18 or 24 in track between the dr and windshield. And a 6 in track behind it.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE