Done with slide divers

Well after my problems with line cutting into my slide divers last year (mono), I gave the light bites a try hoping the arm would keep the line away long enough that the slide diver wouldn't get destroyed.  But the end result was the same thing. This is after running the diver for about 3 hrs....

post-150314-0-88805100-1435103905_thumb.jpg

post-150314-0-16017300-1435103924_thumb.jpg

Based on your pictures looks to me like your diver is getting twisted up on deployment. Only way I know that would cause line to your lure to be under pressure. Let diver out slower or under more pressure should eliminate diver twist. On my braid light bites I "thumb" them out and my wire slide divers I use drags to keep even pressure. Use all the time never have line cut into rear of diver. Slow down deployment should cure problem.

I cannot understand how this would happen - and as several of the posters above have said, I have used Silde diver lite bites for a few years now without ever having this happen.

How could the lighter weight spoon on the terminal end actually pull the terminal end of the line in a downward fashion to rub on the diver when it is so light in weight? The only way I could see this happening is if you ran the diver backwards or if you were fighting a huge fish near the back of the boat with the diver out of the water?

I must be missing something?

Chris

I don't know why but it has happened to every slide diver I try. I thumb them out using a convector30. Def not just flipping the bail and sinking it. I think damage is occurring after the trip motion with the rod. Rich I'm at ur marina I will show up with one rigged and u can tell me what I'm screwing up. Lite bite arm points at lure correct can't see how it's backwards mommay

Edited by BrokeOff

Ok let me know when you are around, I will look it over. I have been running them years and never had a problem. I am almost to the point that all I run is slide divers. They are a great tool, and catch a ton of fish for us. Let's get this figured out for you!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The longer release arm goes towards the lure, and the short release arm goes toward the rod. I believe he has them set up properly, but will verify when I catch up with him.

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Two thoughts on what may cause this wear.  One, after a release when using a flasher.  As the diver slides down the line, the rotation of the diver puts the main line in contact with the edge of the diver?  Two, in transport bouncing around while coming and going to fishing grounds?  Just guesses.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

update on this... after talking to Rich D. it appears that I am pulling the line thru the diver and letting it rub on the base of the diver causing friction/burn and that is what is putting the grooves in the diver.  I guess the right way to pull the line thru would be to flip the diver upside down so the line can't cut into the diver when you pull it out.

Did you get out to try that Kevin?? I believe that should take care of the problem. Good Luck, see you next weekend

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.