Lake George Advice

Hopefully the location of this post doesn't offend anyone, but I couldn't find a better thread to post it under, so Finger Lakes was my best bet. A buddy and I are heading up to Lake George to hopefully catch a few lakers before the summer boat traffic pick up. We have fish up there before with success, a handful of fish using Hammerhead's Vertical spinners run inline along the rigger cable dragging U-20 flatfish behind in the mud. That trip was later in the season and we were able to target them deep on the bottom. I think they may be more suspended this time of year, so what is your advice for tackle and setup for lakers this time of year? Perhaps Luhr-Lake Trolls with a spin-n-glow?

We have two riggers and a set of lead-line rods. Does anyone recommend stacking on the riggers to get more hooks in the water?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks On The Lam! Last time we were up there, that's the program we ran. It did produce good results. This time we are camping at the north end of the lake, @ Roger's Rock north of Hague. If we can't get things to go up there, guess we will have to venture south and use the ole tried and true.

Thanks again!

I wouldn't plan on those big Lakers being suspended. Get those lead core rigs out. Tie about 6-8ft of mono directly to end of lead and a good bb swivel on other end. Put a hammered silver flutter spoon such as Sutton 44,31,32,22 etc. Tapes of blue and green work well. Rogers is a great place to start. Run motor to get line out and cut back to a crawl speed. Let sink to bottom and start pulling. You can actually get the feel when it is on bottom with practice. Have been successful this way for many years and 20 plus fish days on LG. Please burp those deep ones! Enough said...

have fished LG the last few years.  Lead cores , riggers with orange were usually the ticket.  Cowbells with live minnow 18 inch back were on fire but good luck finding bait in local shops.  I hung around Northwest bay mostly so can't speak to north end, but if you run to NW bay, hit the ledge at southwestern point of tongue mountain ( 100 -200 feet from shore).  Lakers stack up there most of year.  

Well, we made it home after a wet weekend on LG. Fishing was great Friday afternoon but slowed down dramatically with the incoming weather. We ended up with 7 lakers total Friday afternoon - Saturday afternoon. The biggest was 28" and approximately 7 lbs. A purple, pink & silver flatfish in x5 size 40' back, 50-70' down with no attractor was the ticket on Friday. Saturday was more of a spoon bite, Michigan stinger fat nancy took a few fish (green, yellow, black) again, 60-70' down and 40' back on the rigger. We did have one great fish on the leadcore setup, with 10 colors out @ 1-1.5mph, assumed it was down 40-50' on a similar fat nancy color spoon, but broke it off. The biggest fish of the weekend, or at least what seemed to be the biggest, I ended up biting the wrong line during a cluster on the back of the boat. Needless to say, the other guy wasn't too happy with me. But it happens.

All the fish minus a dozen or so were suspended in 100 fow up near roger's rock. Never did make it down to the south basin but the spot you speak of Pa223 was killer for us the last time we were out in 2013.

Thanks for the tips guys! I sure appreciate it. One thing I struggled with was speed. We have a speed through water transducer and GPS. We were averaging 1.1-1.5 speed through water, I forget the SOG reading. I understand speed to be one of the most important variables to play with. What speed are most guys running (GPS speed) for best lake trout results. I assume this is all related to what lure/attractor/ect setup you have, but in general.