When are uv lures most effective? I see that there is a uv index on my weather app. Would a high or low uv index have an effect on uv lures? I understand color combos for different water columns and have now incorporated uv lures into my program, but haven't taken note of what the effect of the uv index has been on the lures has anyone else?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing magical about them.  There is some thought that because salmon develop changes in their eyes to see UV when nearing their spawning cycle (perhaps to differentiate between species in spawning rivers/spawning colors) that one might conclude that using UV infused baits might work better in the late summer into fall.  I think the UV lure tape just adds a cool color/flash to the bait......nothing more.

Last year I found my u/v flasher was only ok at deep depths. Using it at least 100 feet down or more. Shallower than that and it was not getting hit. I assume it had to do with the color / depth index. Top of the water your reds, then yellows, then greens, then blues, then violets, then you u/v.

Good luck and tight lines

I'm not sure if its just me. But last year glow lures and flashers worked all summer and fall long. Didn't matter if it was bright sun or low light conditions. They out fished everything else I had. Anybody else have this happen??

I have had success this year first thing in the morning with uv spoons. But it was still bright and sunny in the morning... have not fished deep yet this year so will be interesting to see if they produce down in the dark

Run a mix and see what fish want. I almost always have a uv spoon in water. either FLT stuff or stinger "UV". they catch in all conditions for me.

yes

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure about all the uv hype, many of the manufactures advertise as "uv" tape, is just the colour pattern 948 from WTP and wtp tape company does not claim that to be uv tape. Uv or not, the tape does have good low light refractory and is high flash in bright sun. That being said "uv" tape is mostly blue/purple hues and I am a green guy. Started to play around with the tapes that familiar bite offers,  and the "chinook hunter true uv", is impressive "uv" tape with green hues.

Edited by moemoe

Take a blacklight and go through your lure box.  Lots of tape change color when hit with the UV.   Some tape lights up with the UV , Others reflect it.  I found the light blue mirage uv tape reflects all light more than a chrome flasher in my "  Man cave" .   It will reflect all the way the length of the basement.  where the chrome won't.. Two tapes the same color tape to my eyes will look completely differant when hit with the uv.

You can get a uv flashlight at lowe's or walmart. 7 to 10 bucks

Edited by Big Dave