Lucky Enuff Sodus Report 6/26

I finally got the old girl up for 2015 splashdown out of Sodus with a friend and his kid. My only trips thus far have been off a friends boat, Fishing was challenging and I broke a few things requiring me to bring the boat back to Pa for repairs but it takes more than that to dampen my spirits on one of the most amazing lakes in the country.

It just felt good to be out there. I set up in 120 and headed north to the best screen. Huge bait pods and hooks with the bait. Mostly the bait and hooks were deep though, with much of it 100 to the bottom in ice water.  Being stubborn as I am, I worked those hooks long after the rest of the pack moved on.  I was certain big kings were feeding below my boat, but they weren't eating my junk.  This year has been a predominant spoon bite for us thus far, so I mixed in a few moonshines deep but no go.  I swapped out  to a couple paddles with A-Tom-Mik flies and finally pulled two small kings on flies. one on a 400 copper and one on the 300 copper. We then landed a decent steelie on the 70 rigger with a spoon in 48 degree water.  Our best bite was 210 to 215 fow and I wanted to dedicate more rods to the deep  but the boy wanted fish so we pulled lines and ran out to deeper water.

There was a temp break around the 250-275 zone and we picked up a coho and steelie there while trolling north. I made it out to 425 but lost my surface temp, however we did pick up a few lake trout on the 3 color core out there,  Our troll in produced nothing so we called it a day.  It was a very slow grind for us but there is plenty of life out there.  All the bait makes it that much harder but we managed 12 bites and landed 8 fish, just no size to them. 

Some constant winds out of the west and it could blow up any time !!  Unfortunately I have to replace a broken planer reel pulley, broken rod holder, and my port motor ran warm telling me it's in the mood for a new manifold.  Then I noticed a broken bracket on my trailer  :( .  

The life of a boat owner. Hope to get back in a couple weeks. Good luck to all !!

Edited by Fishtails

Glad you made it out Rod.  Always something to fix on an older boat.  Just got my new prop and skeg repaired because of running up on Sturgeon Pt. on Lake Erie..... :shake: .   Kings are still in their winter pattern which is frustrating as their metabolism in that cold water means they don't have to feed as much.  I have wasted so much time in my life chasing those deep cold water kings.  Frustrating.