Down rigger Ball Weight

Fished out of sandy pond this weekend. New guy didn't get a rod to move. Downrigger ball were getting blown around. Only have 8 lbs. Whats a good size to use? Had a good time!

Dennis you didn't mention whether your downrigger is manual or electric and if electric whether the specs for it allow the heavier weights. One of the critical factors that may be as important as weight is the design of the weight. The torpedo weights in 10 lbs are manageable for both types of downriggers and cut through the water nicely with less blowback than the traditional cannonball or older fish weights. A couple guys here on LOU make great downrigger weights that incorporate newer design features- Troutman87 (Harvey) and bikinibottom (Rich). I know Rich fishes during the season and probably doesn't make the weights right now but Harvey probably does. I'd send an inquiry via  PM

Thanks for the info guys. I have 2 cannon mag 10 electric downriggers. Here a pic of my boat and set up, anything you may see that need to be change ? Going to upgrade my downrigger weights. Again thanks new to fishing Lake O . Would like to fine tune things  350 mile drive and not a fish to show for ,but I'm not giving up!!!!

post-157696-0-95677700-1435746005_thumb.jpg