Is this a hellbender? A seagull dropped it on the deck

threemilebay

mud puppy all the way they get pretty big i have one as a pet that is about 22 inches.  they never shed there gills.  hellbenders have gills for a portion of there life and shed them in adulthood and migrate onto land.  there are several species that get the common name hellbender including one common to the hudson valley region.  salamanders as a whole are protected in ny as there are a couple species on the endangered list. hope it lived 

Never saw one that big. Lol. It was pretty cool though. I was at work and a seagull flew thru and dropped it right next to the station I was waiting on. Luckily there was no one eating there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The reason I thought it might be a hellbender was because it was on the genesse river and thought it might have been flushed here to rochester from Pennsylvania from all the heavy rain we have been getting.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

External gills make it a mudpuppy. I don't believe hellbenders are found in this region.

FYI,They just did a study of the Hellbenders in the Allegany river in the Ellicottville NY. area. It was on the CRCS Outdoors tv show on one of the outdoor sports channels. They are a special thing to the Native Americans in the area. They live under flat rocks on the river bottom.