Setup in about 150 fow at 6am on north troll out to 500 and then back south, pulled lines at 10am.  4/5 on steelhead.... 5 and 10 color cores, 55' rigger and 35' rigger slider.  all spoons, generally NBK's both NK and SS.  All fish were between 19 and 22 North line.  A few visible breaks which were actuially down breaks and moved my probe at 55' between 44 and 51 degrees, most fish were near these breaks.  Great morning on the water, finally calm seas and sunshine like summer should be... hopefully more to come!

Hans, I'm pretty new to this, fishing in my first boat set-up for trolling the lake with downriggers.  What do you mean by "55' rigger and 35' rigger slider"?  Do you have the downriggers at 55' with one spoon and a second slider line at 35'?  Also, what does "fish were between 19 and 22 North line" mean? I have a Sub-Troll which I have not used yet as the power line is broken.  When you talk about breaks at 44 and 51 are you refering to the temperature you measured that made you set the riggers to 55'?  I've been out 4 times in the last month trolling east of I-bay toward Hedges in Webster and I've had terrible luck.  Only 2 small lakers so far.  But I'm probably too late out on the water as I have left about 9-10 AM for all trips.  I usually fish in 70-120 fow.  Is this too shallow?  I'm wondering if heading stright north out of the bay to deeper water is a better use of my time than heading east.  Thanks for any hints or help you can offer.  I enjoy the time out, I'd just like to bring a little fish home with me.

BB

I speak Hans

He's telling you where the 4 fish came from.

The 35 rigger slider=rigger out 35' but fish took the free slider (not the main line).

19 & 22 north lines are lattitude lines. He's giving you very specific data.

The probe parked at 55' changed 7 degrees when he hit that visual break.

Fishing has been slow for most. Pray for the thermocline to set up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hans and Zeb - I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of the terms and give me the additional insight.  I gather from other posts that the fishing is a little difficult at this time.  I think my biggest mistake is the time of day I have gone out.  Due to my schedule I always seem to hit the 9 or 10 AM to 2 or 3 PM time slot.  Probably the worst time.  I'll see what I can do to get out earlier.  I have a decent Furano graph and a Eagle GPS so I can certainly see where the 19 to 22 latitude lines take me.  I have 2 Cannon Mag-10s and only run 2 lines as most of the time I'm fishing alone.  And I think I'll also change my tack on always heading east.  It just gets me away from the bay but not in the deeper water where it seems more fish are taken.  I dock my boat in I-bay just east of Meyer's Marina.  I prefer being out on the lake as opposed to the bay.  It's much more peaceful and enjoyable, and I can mind the lines much better.  This website has been very valuable to pick up hints and tidbits, and as you say, I need to stick to it and take note of what's working and where and when.  Thanks guys.  This is all new to me, but even on a decent day with no fish, being out on the water can't be beat.  

Thanks for the good report. It has been slow fishing for us as well.

Enjoyed watching your beauty of a boat riding on the water with the flags off the outrigger. I am glad you still have her!

Tight lines!

Well Hans, I took your advice and went out about 5:30 tonight.  Headed directly north from I-bay and dropped my lines at 150 fow running at 45' and 55'.  Hit a nice laker at 170 fow on the 45' line and trolled out to about 250 fow when I turned back toward the bay.  Hit 2 coho at 180 and 170 fow on the way back. All three fish hit on the 45' deep line.  And they were just about the 21 degree latitude.  First salmon I've ever caught .... what a fight! 

post-158165-0-15228800-1436194908_thumb.jpg

Edited by BreakingBass

At first they looked like salmon because they had some black around the mouth and the tails were slightly forked, but I'll give in to the experts here. After doing some comparisons it looks like the anal fin is a difference too.  You're right, either way they were fun to catch and long overdue. Thanks guys.

post-158165-0-03050200-1436268571_thumb.jpg

Edited by BreakingBass