Some nice South Dakota 'eyes, with some crappies thrown in. Lake Thompson, SD

John Kelley

I had to cut my Lake Michigan trip short, due to my 200 Optimax giving me fits, so I hooked up with my old work buddy, Conrad, and we took his boat up to my favorite Walleye hole, Lake Thompson.  We trolled around with crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers for a few hours, and caught this nice mixed bag of fish.  Pic is poor quality, and at the fish cleaning station.  Thanks.

post-150571-0-79201200-1436032845_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Kelley

That's some fine eating there John, congrats to your day. Sorry to hear about your motor, I had my share of bad luck also, after 3 years I finally got my boat up to camp {Black River Camp Grounds} got out on the lake heading towards Chaumont Bay had 2 eyes in the box and wanted to run down to the far side, wrapped up all lines and fired up and got just about on plane when she just sat back down in the water WTF, thought at first it just came out of gear, nope nobody home, well maybe a cable tore after a good look everything is moving, the arms up top are doing their thing. Now I'm getting nervous so fired up the kicker and made our way over towards land when we spotted a man cutting his yard and he had a dock. He saw we were in trouble and walked down and motioned us over, well we met the nicest guy, he offered us a ride to camp to get our tow rig. He said he would be waiting for us, when we got over to his house he hooked our trailer to his truck backed it down his ramp which was really steep,helped us load up and he pulled it up to the road where we swapped trucks. I offered him money he wouldn't take nothing. He told us he broke down once far out and 3 PA. Guys towed him home and if there ever was a chance to return the favor he would, just so happened we were from PA. also, so a handshake and a good luck guys we were off to camp. To cut this short the lower unit shaft tore off. I have another ready to go back up, just been to busy with the holidays, but got plans to get up there the middle of the month. Totally screwed up my hole season, but will make it up when the Kings move into the trench. Best of luck with your motor!! On a brighter note I've been doing some research on the Dakota's and MAN you guys have some awesome walleye waters out there, some of the best in the country. I was amazed, you are really lucky to live in such a outdoors wonderland. Take care John, I'll post some King pics. for you to bring back some great memories from when you were in NY. PAP.

Thanks Pap, it is great to run into helpful fellow fishermen, like the guy that helped you guys out!!  Yes we do have some good, relatively untouched walleye water out here.!!  What flies under the radar is the amazing yellow perch fishing to be had out here, in these shallow, highly fertile ponds, as well.  Almost all of the lakes in my vicinity are packed chock full of freshwater shrimp(scuds), and that really makes for some of the most impressive perch fishing I have ever seen.  The pike out here are pretty impressive as well, as they do not get targeted at all, and most lakes have plenty of of 10-18 pound fish, that you will hook up with while walleye fishing.  I have caught 5 over the 35" mark on accident already this summer, with my biggest going 40".  Very fun on walleye spinning gear!!  I really do miss the salmon fishing out your way though, and reflect on those two years fishing out of the "Oak" as the two best summers of fishing of my life!!  I might get back out that way if my company gets the bid on a 3 year project out there!!  Good luck this summer, and I can't wait to see some slob salmon pics coming in.  I think the big O is going to get hot very soon!!   :yes:  :yes:  :yes:

Edited by John Kelley