Cayuga first trip

Got the boat delivered and launched for the first time this past weekend.  Mostly cruised with the family and checked systems.  Plan to do some rigging/install this week but I did get out solo and fish for maybe an hour and a half Saturday morning with just the divers in the flush mount rodholders.  Wind was SSE and stiff enough to make the troll a bit difficult solo so it was a short trip.  Left Hibiscus to 100 depth and trolled south on the west shore.  Nothing on the screen and was getting turned by the wind.  Headed to the east shore to hide and trolled south again in 90-100 ft.  Marked some bait.  Took one hit and broke the seal landing a decent lake trout.  2.0 mph on the gps out 120 on wire, black dipsey, on a DW 42nd spoon.  Fleas found my swivel but not an issue with the wire.

Not much of a report but happy to be on the water and looking forward to getting set up to fish.  ...though I am not looking forward to drilling holes in the boat.

post-156031-0-89339000-1436190913_thumb.jpg

post-156031-0-02583000-1436190926_thumb.jpg

Nothing like a new boat to make things enjoyable out there.Looks like a beauty from what I could see in the pic. If you have inset rod holders there are things you can do to minimize drilling. You can get some gimbal mounts and mount a couple downriggers to them with swivel bases and if you have additional ones toward the cockpit along the gunwales another gimbal with a short section of track mounted to it and three Bert's ratcheting rod holders (metal ones) mounted to the track. Additional stainless rod holders (e.g. perko, Attwood or others) that are rail mounted could be located on the bow rail for additional rods. if you can get to them easily  The nice thing is that you can take them on and off when using the boat recreationally....just a thought....no additional holes required. It is basically the way I went 13 years ago on my Whaler and it works well.

P.S. I can run the 3rd downrigger just by lifting out whatever I have in the forward hole and inserting the rigger so there is also flexibility this way.

post-145411-0-68186100-1436194499_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-08533500-1436194522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Nothing like a new boat to make things enjoyable out there.Looks like a beauty from what I could see in the pic. If you have inset rod holders there are things you can do to minimize drilling. You can get some gimbal mounts and mount a couple downriggers to them with swivel bases and if you have additional ones toward the cockpit along the gunwales another gimbal with a short section of track mounted to it and three Bert's ratcheting rod holders (metal ones) mounted to the track. Additional stainless rod holders (e.g. perko, Attwood or others) that are rail mounted could be located on the bow rail for additional rods. if you can get to them easily  The nice thing is that you can take them on and off when using the boat recreationally....just a thought....no additional holes required. It is basically the way I went 13 years ago on my Whaler and it works well.

P.S. I can run the 3rd downrigger just by lifting out whatever I have in the forward hole and inserting the rigger so there is also flexibility this way.

Thanks. 

I picked up two 6 inch traxstech tracks, backing plates, and triple rod trees along with a pair of scotty downriggers.  The tracks I planned to drill and permanently install.  I will slide out the trees when they are not in use.  I have been on the fence with the scottys.  The gibmal mount would be a simple setup but I would worry that there would be a lot of weight and pressure on it.  It would probably be fine, but I am a pain in the a## so if it rattled around or had play or cracked I would be pissed at myself.  So instead I figured I'd sweat it out and drill through to install with a home made backing plate of some kind.  I just never drilled a boat before.

I also I need to figure out how to best run the wires.

I have the long adjustable booms on my Cannons and have never had a problem but I also only use 10 lb weights too :)  here are the plugins I have  (4 of them spaced so I can operate either of two or three downriggers off any one on same side musing an alternate socket is one were to become dysfunctional.

post-145411-0-90882900-1436201106_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-21252800-1436201117_thumb.jpg

I have the long adjustable booms on my Cannons and have never had a problem but I also only use 10 lb weights too :)  here are the plugins I have  (4 of them spaced so I can operate either of two or three downriggers off any one on same side musing an alternate socket is one were to become dysfunctional.

You got me thinking.  The mulitple outlets and gimbals would add a lot of flexibility.  On the wiring... did you just run the red and black to the battery with an inline fuse?  Or just the red and ground the black elsewhere?

The marina where I bought the boat did the wiring but they go through the breaker box (30 Amp fusing?)

When I mounted my down riggers I went and got a separate fuse box and installed it just for my riggers. I ran a Hot wire from my battery and hooked up a ground to my motor I have a I/o

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I mounted my down riggers I went and got a separate fuse box and installed it just for my riggers. I ran a Hot wire from my battery and hooked up a ground to my motor I have a I/o

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2, I did the excact thing, same with my lights. Although I never owned a brand new boat it killed me to drill the first hole in my new to me and always wanted boat, if I went over my program once I went over it a 100 X, made temporary props to hold stuff in place, looked at it ran lines out hooked to the wash line making sure things were right and wouldn't interfere with one an other. Good luck with your new ride, looks awesome from what I could see in the pics.

Thanks.  30 amp inline fuse was what I read.  I'll talk to the marina and see if it something they can do for me for a reasonable #. 

Talk to Rick at Hibiscus about rigging.