Cannon Mag-10 downrigger is not auto rewinding.

Just wondering if anyone has had the problem where their Cannon Mag-10 downrigger has stopped automatically rewinding when you hit the up switch.  It was working fine one day and then the auto up function stopped working.  It still rewinds fine if I hold the rewind switch in the up position.  If it matters this downrigger has the insulated cable on it for a Sub-Troll unit.  Thanks.

Sounds like your board is gone, do you get a funny smell from the housing unit. Se thing happened to me last season during the fall LOC.

Boards are about 75$ from fish307.com. Also it's a quick easy exchange.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dan - I haven't touched the cable since I've had them so I don't think its come disconnected from that screw.  I haven't gotten anywhere near the end of the spool. 

Steve - you could be right about the board.  So many electronics like that "just go" because the boards are poor quality and made for 50 cents a piece.  When I get tired of holding the button up to retrieve the cable I'll take a look.  My guess is I would see where a component on the board is fried.  Thanks for the help guys.

If you take the cover off you'll see a green wire (ground) from the main circuit board bolted to the motor. With out this making contact the auto stop feature will not work. Other than that or the cable not making ground through the spool to the motor it would be the board is fried.

Frogger is right on!  I had the same problem with one of my Cannon Mag 10, I sent it to Lake George Fish 307 and received it back in two days, as it turned out, the connection to the spool wasn't right making the auto stop to work. Cost me like $27 but could have easily fixed myself if I knew what the problem, was. Easy fix trust me. I believe the coated cable needs to stripped back assuring the connection at the ground. Good Luck.

Thanks guys, these seem to be likely things that could ge bumped out of whack.  I'll check them out next time I get the downrigger off the boat.  It's not bad holding the switch up for 45', but 150' I dunno. 

• 3 weeks later...

Use an ohmmeter with rigger plugged in and switch in neutral position. Check for continuity between battery negative post and the cable end at the ball. Use a long jumper wire from battery to area near rigger for testing. An open means check screw/cable contact.

The Cannon short stop works by a very very minor current through the water and into the control board via the cable. Put on an insulated cable where the only real contact with the water is on the cut surface of the end , then be prepared for issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their help and comments.  This will be a winter project, and your suggestions will give me a lot to try.  This rigger has a coated cable on it for the SubTroll and it worked fine up until the problem started in July.  Over the winter I'll strip off the cable to look at the set screw and check the ground connection on the board.  I like the simple DVM check for ground continuity idea too.  All those can be done in the basement with the boat battery. 

• 1 month later...

I just got 2 boards for both mine from cannon for $68.00 each ..... Most parts from cannon are dirt cheap .... Just trying to help out ....mark

I blew both of mine trying to jump my dead starting battery , then switched batteries while the outboard was running , I tried to run them up and down when the battery was unhooked just off the motor running , lesson learned ..... The hard way