Green head flies

2 weeks ago they were non existant , last weekend they were out in force .

Bug spray was just not doing anything to detour them. I read about the pine sol thread but we always wash our boat down and it did nothing for the biting flies. Any other suggestions that may work ?

If you are referring to those little black fly &*^%$#@s that bite like heck I don't think they are "green heads" like you see out on Cape Cod etc. more like the flies you see around animals on farms (not the big  horse flies). man the little buggers can bite though.

Edited by Sk8man

Sk, no not the black flies that totally tear you up especially behind your ears.

I am referring to the green head ( look like house flies with green heads) that seem to come out of nowhere out on the lake. We were about 9 miles out and they appeared, biting our ankles like crazy. Had them around last year but last week was the first this year. They seem to get worse if you get wet, we went swimming and water skiing since the fishing was terrible.

I will try buggspray because I can only expect they will get worse as the weather water/warms

Ah.... I've thankfully never encountered  those out there only the little black buggers that won't leave you alone no matter what :lol:  I never remember these damned things out there in the old days ....man.. fleas, zebras, flies...what next? I know....don't ask :lol:

That's why when you see me in pics or on the boat, I am wearing coveralls. Light coveralls short sleeve. Also light colored. No gapiosis (shirt and pants separating in the middle fat region) for the bite Flys to grab into. Long enough over tall white socks. Arms are always moving and easily covered with spray. Neck gets swabbed too. The light color reflects UV and actually deters black flies from landing on it. Learned this from some guides in Quebec who were also Indian when he said, "ahhh...dark blue jean...not good". You have lighter color? Why?

"Your flies...they like you"

Ok so now I try the opposite with UV green t shirt..now he says I might scare fish. What do I do now? Well since these fish in lake Ontario can't see me in the boat and the flies can. I try it, and it does work to a degree. Light poplin 5mm coverall so far is best for me, also do not wear crocks. You will have a bite that matches every hole in the shoe.

I don't like sprays much especially around monofilament line. It eats plastic.

Thanks again for the responses . I don't think I can deal with wearing coveralls although it sounds effective .

I'm a shorts and either none or sandals guy . They did bite my ankles pretty good and that's about the only area the concentrated on . We tried an all natural spray ( don't know the name ) but it made the floor pretty slippery from over spray and I have tried deet such as off but totally ineffective .

Hope this buggspray stuff works

We use Bravo it is sold for horses, but I've used it on my ankles and it works and I'm still alive and healthy.I have sprayed on cotton towels and put in corners at the back of the boat it seems to work there as well. We call them heel flies and it works very well.

I was told they released these flies in the Adirondacks to combat the canopy(tent ) catapillars...now they are everywhere and getting worse it appears..don't know if there is any truth to that, but thats what I heard

I was told they released these flies in the Adirondacks to combat the canopy(tent ) catapillars...now they are everywhere and getting worse it appears..don't know if there is any truth to that, but thats what I heard

Yup. They did that when they stocked the rattlesnakes to control the turkey population. Lmao.

They are FLIES! Salmon LOVE flies. Ask Tom Allen. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yup. They did that when they stocked the rattlesnakes to control the turkey population. Lmao.

They are FLIES! Salmon LOVE flies. Ask Tom Allen. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Amen to that!

• 3 weeks later...

Buggspray for the win.   Make sure you order the "for biting flies" formulation.   

Have used it both on the lake and in the ADKs, and it's worth the price for the small bottles.

www.buggspray.com

This is a more direct link....bottom left is the biting fly formula.

http://bugg-products.myshopify.com/collections/buggspray

Edited by JimB