Cannon Dual Rod Holders

jimalbert

Ok. Do they work pretty well? I'm thinking about stacking some downriggers instead of running more than 2

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, they work well. I wish they would articulate more to allow for lower angle rods to the water, but for stacking rods, they are the ticket. We only run two riggers and they both have the dual mount "Front Mount" holders. They also make a rear mount that comes with a stud for mounting in the location of the single rod holder back on the body. We prefer the boom mount that leaves an extra rod holder for setting things up, 3 rod holders per rigger

stacking creates alot of tangles when fish strike, might actually be cheaper to add another rigger, than to rebuy all those spoons and ff's.   We rarely if ever stck 2 rods on a rigger, but they almost always have a slider spoon on them either fixed or free sliding

I have other riggers and just thought it would be easier stacking 2 downriggers that dragging 3 or 4 downriggers out on the lake. I will need to experiment a bit I guess. I have been running 2 riggers out the back off each corner and two 10'6 dispeys out each side. I'm going to add a lead core or copper out the chute and either tinker with stacking the downriggers or adding other downriggers into the mix. Thanks for the response

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you were to stack you would be retricting yourself on other presentations you can try. I would put a fixed cheater on the riggers giving you the same presentation as stacki g but with one rod less. Then you can use that extra rod for another dipsy, copper, leadcore, or a thumper rig.

Ps. Extra rod holders are always a good thing.

Good luck and tight lines.

Edited by Richard

Screw stackers! It's always the bottom line that releases and you have to bring the whole stupid thing up and reset both lines. The you have me who always forget to back off on the drag before sending the second line down and pops the release at the ball. Then the whole process starts over again. Give it a try. Maybe it will work better for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hey Jim I have the dual rod holders on mine if you look close in the pic from yesterday. The only advantage to stackers over a slider is that you can make them longer but that also has its disadvantages in terms of tangles and as Lucas pointed out often the release is at the bottom one so the top one may get tangled. I did it for years  way back when but now I just use sliders.....much less screwing around and opens options up for running other stuff. I do keep about a dozen pre-rigged sliders rolled up on a small piece of foam noodle though and if I have a tangle with the main line I just cut off the swivels pull the slider line off and throw it away and rig with another off the foam.

post-145411-0-04126200-1436489285_thumb.jpg

Jim, If you invest in a chute copper or core, I have two tx22 online boards you can have two get that line out to the side. If you hit a fish on a dipsy, especially in a turn, you will likely lose the fish, dipsy and core or copper all together. I'll be in Watkins all weekend long if you're around. Staying at the lake all weekend for birthday festivities.

Nick

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys... As always a wealth of information.  I think I will opt to run something out the chute and stick with the 2 riggers and 2 dipseys... As much as people get bit on the dipsey's I am still not convinced that they work!!! :)  All those fish last week and they were all off the riggers... hahahha...

Thanks guys... As always a wealth of information.  I think I will opt to run something out the chute and stick with the 2 riggers and 2 dipseys... As much as people get bit on the dipsey's I am still not convinced that they work!!! :)  All those fish last week and they were all off the riggers... hahahha...

Try  stacking the smaller dipseys on your top line 10-15ft. above the ball out about 40-50ft.

put the stacked rod in the outside holder and bottom rod on the inside holder. It shouldn't interfear with your wire dipsey. Its a good setup when the temp. is deep and you know where the lures are.

I've taken a lot of fish that way, take your time and think about what your doing and you won't have a problem getting them down.  Good luck :)