Canandaigua Crazy sailboat driver!

On 7/07 I was out with a grandfather and grandson on a half day trip. We were crossing the lake about 1/3 of the way down when I see a sailboat coming across my stern. He and I were about the only two boats within miles of each other. He proceeded to turn after crossing over the top of my lines and followd directly behind me. As he picked up speed he began to overtake me on the starboard side in-between myself and the west shore heading south. We hit some weeds with the boards on the port side and as I'm watching them the sailboater takes a sharp left turn right in front of me! Luckily I caught him out of the corner of my eye. I had to throw the kicker into hard reverse and he may have missed be by an inch if i'm lucky. As he coasts in front of me and I feel were clear I ask him from maybe four feet away "what the heck are you doing"? He looks over at me and responds.. "Oh sorry thought I had more room" very casually. If there wasn't an 11yr old on board I'm sure it would have been much more heated. I can't help but think that he did this on purpose the more I think about it. Anyway he was is a solid blue hull maybe 18-20 sailboat. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever had a run in with this boat or is he really just that stupid!

The law says a vessel under power has to give way to a vessel under sail, but when you have riggers down and lines out, common sense and courtesy says it should be the other way around. Is there an exception for power boats engaged in fishing? I bet there is for commercial fishing vessels.

Chuck what lake?

Lively I just took the safe boater course with my son and I am pretty sure you are correct. I do remember the sheriff mentioning about the "common courtesy" between sailboats and a fishing boat with lines out. If they can the sailboat should give way. But as Chuck found out the hard way some of them take the rules to extremes. I use to sailboat race on the Chesapeake bay and some sailors think they own the water and everyone should give way to them. I have seen first hand $250,000 sailboats bouncing off of each other and screaming from six inches away..... now that is a sight.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This was Canandaigua. The driver of the sailboat made no effort whatesoever to avoid collision. He held his course which is in part why I think he did this intentionally. He gave me almost no time to react. While sailboats obviously have the right of way I think the was an aggressive maneuver on his part.

. As he picked up speed he began to overtake me on the starboard side in-between myself and the west shore heading south. 

I took  a course a few years ago and it stressed NO ONE has the right of way but rules in place for which boat is to yield to the other. If I have this right I think = When he was behind him and over taking him. It was the sailboat responsibility to do it safely and give the boat he was over taking room.

Take his #'s and turn him in....... lot of stuff like that with pleasure boater over last weekend I had to take many DEEP breathes to get thru it....... I almost pulled a D.H. move to repay a dude at the launch...... then I backed off and explained to the young lad we had in the boat how wrong I would have been doing some thing stupid back at this guy............ hope that was you last one for the year and good luck out on the water.    

The law says a vessel under power has to give way to a vessel under sail, but when you have riggers down and lines out, common sense and courtesy says it should be the other way around. Is there an exception for power boats engaged in fishing? I bet there is for commercial fishing vessels.

Lively 1, take this with a grain of salt, and if I`m wrong, someone please correct, but I seem to recall, when I was reading "Chapman`s Piloting" about 30 years ago in preparation for the captain`s test, (never did take it), that I read a boat that is moving but engaged in fishing (ie.. lines out) and not easily maneuverable must be given the right of way by a sailing vessel.  Hop

Paul I had the same thing exactly happen a couple weeks ago (solo) near German Brothers with boards out and I had waved my arms, yelled etc. to get his attention  so he smiles and then turns right at me again. I didn't have an eleven year old in the boat and I took full advantage of the fact  and really let him have it verbally including a few hand gestures for good measure....He just laughed and went along his merry way. Probably could have fried and egg on my head :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

A vessal being overtaken shall maintain its course and speed. I would have driven right through the center of his hull. I tried to turn out regardless of consequence to my lines but with him not turning it was a for sure collision. He violated several "rules of the road". Its a long summer out there I'm sure i will get the opportunity to discuss it with him at some point.

Les,

Was this possibly the same boat? He was at German Brothers when I was on my way back in. If you got a good look at him if you could possibly PM me a brief description. I will contact the Sherriff.

I was under the impression that a law passed last year that a boat that is trolling even under power has the right of way now due to the fact of steering control at such a low speed compared to that of a sailboat which can make those sudden turns. I know I read it someplace last season cause I damn near killed a guy because he crossed my bow which was fine but when I looked over again he did a complete 180 and was crossing back when I had to reverse my boat just to not clip him. Absolute nut cases

Paul,

He was seated and He looked about 40 ish maybe  dark hair and by himself on white sailboat that is about all I remember  I was so busy I didn't get a name on his boat or anything but he seemed very amused when he did it.....certainly not "accidental" and it looked as though he launched from German Bros.

Paul,

He was seated and He looked about 40 ish maybe  dark hair and by himself on white sailboat that is about all I remember  I was so busy I didn't get a name on his boat or anything but he seemed very amused when he did it.....certainly not "accidental" and it looked as though he launched from German Bros.

That's when a dead laker was to find it's way onto the deck on a 90 degree day in the middle of the week....lol

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hmmmm. ..... Maybe his younger brother Les. I will at least be respectfull of the fish and take the filets off before I leave the rest behind Lol.

Ok Darkwater, you made me get out of my comfy recliner and dust off Mr Chapman, now here goes:  taken from Chapman`s Piloting, 54th edition, 1979, pg 75:  "Right of way of fishing vessels"- "Inland Article 26 accords righ-of-way status, within limitations, to vessels engaged in fishing.  Sailing vessels underway must keep out of sailing vessels or boats fishing with nets,lines,or trawls.  Although not explicitly stated in  the Inland Rules (as it is in the InrRR), power -driven vessels likewise should also keep clear of fishing vessels.  This rule does not give any vessel or boat engaged in fishing the right of obstructing a fairway used by vessels other than fishing vessels or boats."

Must keep in mind this was written 37 years ago.  It`s entirely possible, even probable, there have been addendums and or changes since then.

(Is anybody getting the idea I really don`t care for sailboats?)

i researched this pretty heavily last year and i distinctly remember that in all situations the vessel being overtaken has the right of way period.  so if the wind prick was behind you and travelling faster and passed than the power boat has the right of way.  As far as the fishing goes the law is written more for commercial vessels and refers to long lines and nets and such rec fisherman with the type of trolling we do are not intended to be covered as a boat with lines out.  I remember once being anchored on perch and they set up a racing bouy 10 ft away and told us we had to move my dad ended up throwing some dead perch at people they came over and moved the bouy  take a cell phone video and if you collide you have wonderful evidence for the civil suit.  might end up with a new boat out of the deal

Think that was written before people were making sense...offspring 10 years after 1969 and Woodstock..that can't be translated can it?:huh: :lol:

I didn`t make Woodstock but I made the concert at Watkins race track back then.  And, the guy that sold me the Orange Sunshine tabs promised it would help me to see things so much clearer, and with great color.  Ok, I`m done.  Textaria just hit a homer and the Yanks are up 3-2. 

I believe the law reads, the boat that has the least maneuverability has the right of way which would be the boat trolling with boards & other equipment out. This was told to me by a US. Coast Guard a few yrs. back. We have also had arguments with sail boats in the past!

Not sure which is worst, the sail boats or the guy going east & west & looking out the back of his boat not paying attention when everyone else is trolling north & south! Geeeeeze!

Edited by lineman49

It's good thing none of this navigation bedlam is happening at 200 knots. There wouldn't be time for smiles, gestures and fun like HEY! get the fig outta my way! BOOM!. ..then live to tell the story...wait doesn't sunshine orange tabs make ya feel like things run slower than real time?

I try to accept that things like this will happen so that when they do i won't get so upset. Doesnt always work tho!

I agree. I fish this lake at least 60 days a year and thought I had seen it all until this. Pontoon boats running over my boards, jet skiers doing donuts next to me when I'm jigging at 8am but this definitely takes the cake. Everyone knows how the sailboats clog the north end but in 20+ yrs I have never had a problem with them. This was just maybe a careless act that could have had much worse results. Its not so much a case for who had the right of way but more so a bad decision of someone driving a boat that could have caused some serious injuries. Perhaps he panicked and was embarrassed and thats why he responded the way he did? Either way if his bilge should quit and his blow boat goes down I hope he has an adequate pfd and he comes thru unscathed.

Edited by chuck527