Seneca 7-8-15

Launched early from the Chamber with my buddy John and had  6 lines trolling by 5:45 AM headed south on west side. 2 riggers with sliders,  a 10 core,a 5 core and 2 wires with spinneys. Trolled for about an hour before first fish - laker  about 3 lbs on wire rig out120 on green home made fly. Another good hit on same rod half hour later off before could get to rod.  About 2 hrs later pulled lines went back north reset with different spoons etc. At about the same spot as last laker another same size on downrigger set at 45 with Great Lakes #44 spoon with dark blue tape. later another hit and gone same lure. Trolled across lake to east side wind calmed a bit trolled south toward Sampson as during the whole troll from north end marked all kinds of bait and fish suspended mostly within 30-60 ft range but couldn't get them to hit no matter how many lure changes or presentations or changes in trolling directions. Finally just as reaching Sampson park  downrigger set at 50 peels line and at first I thought it was a good rainbow or landlock but then it dove toward bottom and repeatedly peeled line multiple times...all the while staying down...then I thought maybe a good brown or big laker....the next head shakes and I was thinking laker....sure enough a big fat laker about 9 lbs on the Great Lakes 44 again (released unharmed). All three lakers had pot bellies and have obviously been chowing heavily out there. . The availability of bait is pretty incredible and a lot of the marks we saw in large numbers suspended with and near bait suggested silver fish to me with lakers below. I think it indicated pretty strongly that there is way too much food readily available to the fish out there that it explains to some degree why they won't hit when trolling  (i.e. minimal energy expenditure). I took a few representative (and quite usual screenshot examples out there today) so folks can see what I mean. Never had a touch on the cores regardless of lures used or how run (off boards or straight, down chute etc.) ran the 10 color in various ways  (number of colors - nothing). John kept the 2 smaller lakers for the smoker.

P.S. Very light fleas noted but the grass (several kinds) was terrible out there attached to everything

post-145411-0-46672000-1436387822_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-00518200-1436387835_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-83072800-1436387851_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-98214800-1436387869_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Launched early from the Chamber with my buddy John and had  6 lines trolling by 5:45 AM headed south on west side. 2 riggers with sliders,  a 10 core,a 5 core and 2 wires with spinneys. Trolled for about an hour before first fish - laker  about 3 lbs on wire rig out120 on green home made fly. Another good hit on same rod half hour later off before could get to rod.  About 2 hrs later pulled lines went back north reset with different spoons etc. At about the same spot as last laker another same size on downrigger set at 45 with Great akes #44 spoon with dark blue tape. later another hit and gone same lure. Trolled across lake to east side wind calmed a bit trolled south toward Sampson as during the whole troll from north end marked all kinds of bait and fish suspended mostly within 30-60 ft range but couldn't get them to hit no matter how many lure changes or presentations or changes in trolling directions. Finally just as reaching Sampson park  downrigger set at 50 peels line and at first I thought it was a good rainbow or landlock but then it dove toward bottom and repeatedly peeled line multiple times...all the while staying down...then I thought maybe a good brown or big laker....the next head shakes and I was thinking laker....sure enough a big fat laker about 9 lbs on the Great Lakes 44 again (released unharmed). All three lakers had pot bellies and have obviously been chowing heavily out there. . The availability of bait is pretty incredible and a lot of the marks we saw in large numbers suspended with and near bait suggested silver fish to me with lakers below. I think it indicated pretty strongly that there is way too much food readily available to the fish out there that it explains to some degree why they won't hit when trolling  (i.e. minimal energy expenditure). I took a few representative (and quite usual screenshot examples out there today) so folks can see what I mean. Never had a touch on the cores regardless of lures used or how run (off boards or straight, down chute etc.) ran the 10 color in various ways  (number of colors - nothing). John kept the 2 smaller lakers for the smoker.

Man, that is one impressive body!

PS:  It ain`t the dude in the hat..:)

Yeah Mark we had a couple too while out there....hope my gut isn't as bad as that one (sucking in stomach as I say it ) :lol:

I guess you are right Hop and Kim would probably agree....tough for us old dudes to stay in shape :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Nice report Les!

I went to Canada for bachelor party immediately following the trout derby in May. 2 weeks later got married and a week later went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. I'm back in the game now and me and the wife are thinking about hitting the Red Cross tourney this weekend! Any idea of payouts? Is it just Cayuga lake?

Thanks and good luck out there (not that you need it)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

First of all congratulations John! Man...you really did up the honeymoon... cool....I'm not  sure on the derby details and have never fished that one but I'm sure someone on here will know. Hopefully we'll be able to chat in person at the ramp  one of these days soon. Thanks for the "vote of confidence"  :)  Best of luck. Les

Edited by Sk8man