any tips for lake trout fishing?

I am the owner of an auto repair shop in Ephratah Ny .

I am just getting into lake trout fishing bought a 19 foot grumman super fisherman with 75 HP oil injected Suzuki outboard came with 2 Cannon Electric Downriggers, a planer board mast and planer boards. have tried fishing some of the local lakes and have yet to catch any lakers.

post-158545-0-43701300-1436402228_thumb.jpg

I am new to lake trout fishing and have fished a few times last year and this year and have yet to catch any lakers we chart fish and run our riggers to the depth they are at have tried different colored spoons speed around 2.5 according to GPS and fish finder speed sensor. Have tried different depths not sure what we are doing wrong but seems like we should have had at least a rod pop up from a strike.

We have fished Piseco lake a few times Canada lake a few times Ontario 1 time. Do we need a light leader for fishing lakers, we are just using the 25 pound test tied to a swivel and spoon I just bought 18 pound line and respooled the poles and have yet to go out. We are running about 20 foot behind the ball. I really want to learn how to catch some of these lake trout I dont want to haul 2 1/2 hours to Ontario and not catch anything I went on a Charter with Moby Dick 2 years ago and had a blast if we go to Ontario we will more than likely fish the trench.

John is the guy that got me going on the Lakers, if your going to Henderson green or blue cow bells and he turned me on to big beetle spins, he's got lots. Drop your ball to the bottom and raise it up about a foot if using anything less than 16# weight. Going down towards Stoney Point 1.8 on gps if you have a probe 1.8 down speed coming back up 1.5 gps speed or the same on probe.