Hey guys, 

I will be fishing out of Henderson harbor between July 31st and August 10th. I will be running 2 downriggers and hoping to stack 2 rods on each rigger. I was looking for some basic lure combos and colors as I will be fishing the trench, galloo and calf island, and the shipping lanes for kings. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, 

Dan

For Lake Ontario Kings I always had great luck with spoons in greens, blacks, chromes, and whites with glow mixed in as well.  I would fish the only glow colored spoons in the early morning, and late evenings, in low light conditions, and the shinier spoons with chrome on them in the bright part of the day.  For flashers and flies, I always had good luck with white with green dots, and glow frog spinnies in early morning and late evenings, and shiny, MT Dew with chrome in high light periods.  Downrigger depths this time of year will vary according to water temps, but anywhere from 50-110' of water are usually some good depths to try this time of year.  Don't be afraid to try much shallower in the mornings and evenings.  Good luck. :yes:  :yes:

Right now green spoons are generally working well.  The NBK 42nd spoon always does great for me.

Watermelon has also worked well only if the fish are in the top 40 ft though.

Monkey puke seems to be getting some good hits as well.

But to be honest it changes day to day. We have a program of colors. Start with glow spoons early in the morning, change to greens, then blues and silvers as the sun comes up. Put out a variety, and see what's working. Change up every 20 to 30 minutes, especially if we mark fish and they don't hit. Give each spoon a chance, very speed, heading and depth before we decide to change.

Right now green spoons are generally working well. The NBK 42nd spoon always does great for me.

Watermelon has also worked well only if the fish are in the top 40 ft though.

Monkey puke seems to be getting some good hits as well.

But to be honest it changes day to day. We have a program of colors. Start with glow spoons early in the morning, change to greens, then blues and silvers as the sun comes up. Put out a variety, and see what's working. Change up every 20 to 30 minutes, especially if we mark fish and they don't hit. Give each spoon a chance, very speed, heading and depth before we decide to change.

NBK42 second spoon? I think I know what you mean but everyone else might be confused since NBK and 42 second are two separate and very different patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

NBK42 second spoon? I think I know what you mean but everyone else might be confused since NBK and 42 second are two separate and very different patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sorry, yes - I meant to say an NBK / 42 spoon.

This is the 42 spoon I mean:

http://www.gloutdoors.com/images/products/detail/1367.jpg

This is the NBK spoon I'm talking about, and notice the UV tape - got it at the Niagara LOTSA Salmon School in Jan this year!

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7745/products/FN_213.jpg?v=1401298104

Edited by TyeeTanic

I'd be start setting up my paddle program then. Spoons will work, but you probably should have some paddles down. Most likely they will out perform my spoon program right about that timeframe.