Hey guys, I've been working on my bucket list this season and am hoping to try salmon fishing from the kayak instead of wading the river this fall.  I've been finding it tough to troll for any length of time with a lot of weight for walleyes and would like to pick your brains for basic lure, size and color selections for the Selkirk and Salmon River estuary area with floating/ diving lures without heavy weight to drag.  I have 8 1/2' conventional trolling rods with penn 209 reels and plan to replace the 20# mono with braid by then.  Let me know what you all think! Thanks

post-156407-0-58789200-1436490052_thumb.jpg

I have been having a blast with fishing with the yak this season including some huge fish that have taken me for a ride.  A salmon would be awesome and am definitely hoping for favorable lake conditions this fall so I can get off the bank.

I trolled for summer time salmon in my kayak for the last few years. This year I got a boat and haven't salmon fished in the kayak. My method was to troll a spoon or flasher & fly behind a magnum Dipsy Diver. The rig creates a lot of drag but allows you to fish up to 100' deep. At least I got exercise. Summertime salmon are typically at least a couple of miles from shore. I would drag a spoon on lead core line on my way out to the deep water. Often I would pick up a fish on my way out or in that way. Be sure to triple check the weather before venturing out that far in a kayak. Bring a hand held marine radio too. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by flyboy7

Flyboy that makes my shoulders sore just thinking about it, you are a machine.  Good to know that the magnum dipsy's get down that deep.  I will have to try that in the finger lakes I fish for lakers where it's a shorter trip to deep water.  For salmon, knowing my paddling limit, I think I will have to stick to flatlining or keel sinkers closer to shore when the salmon are entering staging mode. How deep are they typically running in september before they hit the rivers and estuaries?  I have a fish finder but it is an old Humminbird LCR 4000 that is pretty basic in terms of functions.  Thank you for the helpful responses.