Fluorocarbon and flashers

When running a flasher/fly for kings, do you run a lighter (12-20#) fluorocarbon leader before the flasher, or do you just tie it onto the main line (30# mono).  Is a leader just adding a weak link to your setup or does it make a difference?

Edited by GeckoGuy

Think about it this way. The fish is attacking an 8 inch piece of plastic with a fly attached to it 22 inches behind with 40 or 50 lb. There is no need for a lighter leader to the flasher

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Exactly, this is not a stealth presentation, it is loud, flashy and bright, and especially with 11" flashers, so yes, the lighter leader is just adding a weak link to your presentation.  Go directly to your mainline. Good luck. :yes:  :yes:

Just to clarify, you are talking on a down rigger, right?  If so, yes you can get away with connecting directly to mainline in that instance.

However, all my rigger rods are already setup with 10 ft fluoro leads and I don't want to take them off, so if I do use a flasher/fly on the rigger, then I just connect the rod up with the leader on it. But you don't need the leader.

We run 25lb McCoy Mean Green mainline all season. In the Spring when running spoons we leader down to 15lb McCoy Fluoro 100. Come late Spring, Summer, and Fall we run 20lb McCoy Fluoro 100 unless we are running bid paddles. If it's 8" Spin Doctors and E-Chips we don't bother stripping off the 20lb Fluoro because many times we are adjusting between spoons and flasher/flys. As crazy as it sounds my confidence level goes way down with a spoon tied to a 25lb Mono mainline.

30 lb main line mono for flashers.  30 lb mono line leadered down to 15lb mono in spring or 20lb mono the rest of the year.  When running flashers deep on the riggers I add a barrel swivel 5' ahead of the flasher to reduce line twists further......this also allows you to add a spoon cheater above and acts like a stop when the cheater slides down the line on a release reducing tangles.

• 2 weeks later...

30 lb main line mono for flashers. 30 lb mono line leadered down to 15lb mono in spring or 20lb mono the rest of the year. When running flashers deep on the riggers I add a barrel swivel 5' ahead of the flasher to reduce line twists further......this also allows you to add a spoon cheater above and acts like a stop when the cheater slides down the line on a release reducing tangles.

What he said! Lol

We run 50lb mono from our divers to the flasher as the hits can be so violent. Riggers have a swivel & bead...then 30 lb leader to big swivel for FF's....leader down to 20lb floro seagar for spoons

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app