Thermocline Question

I believe its been posted before, but I can't seem to find it.

How do you "see" the thermocline on the fish finder?

I have the Lowrance Elite 5 unit.

Thanks For any information.

Boat Safe

Egoody

Most units you can turn up the gain. Then it will show a faint horizontal line on the graph with a cleaner look on the screen above the line. Increase the gain a little at a time before the screen becomes too cluttered and it will usually show up first as the line. The sonic of the pulse from your transducer will reflect off of it because the water is more dense below the thermocline.

• 3 weeks later...

In two weeks or so, you will not need to worry about the thermalcline. Just start fishing the marks! Big kings will start to show up in very warm water.

Yes...what Brian said! Especially in the early am. As day gets brighter a lot of times they may go to the comfort of the thermocline off shore more. Late afternoon they will move in before dark and start the hunt again. Where there's bait on the screen, low light, there is kings nearby even if it's warmer water.

Thank you for the update. We'll be coming up Aug 15th for a week, out of Fair Haven. Planning on Running FF, spoons and maybe meat rigs. Have down riggers, dipsey's, big boards and flat lines. I've never run the meat rigs, but thought I'd try them.

Any recommendations on any of the above.

Thanks and

Boat Safe

Egoody

Just be careful running the boards you will be in with allot of other boats. I always tend to stay outside of the pack as I am not as experienced as most on the lake o trolling routines.

Glow spinnies and glow attomik flies have worked best for me on early morning and late evening. Also Mag glow spoons work well at times. I'm going to try meat this year. Not sure how well it works on staging kings???

With such a cold winter last year do you all think things are running late this year? The Oak was still slow on Matures this last week. I know the mature heavy staged bite didn't come until Sat. of Labor Day weekend last year at Fair Haven. Many attributed this to the cold winter.

Edited by buckboardjr