Just before and after migration

Im new at the lady O trolling scene ,and maybe getting to far ahead but curiosity is getting to me . I understand the salmon start to

slow down towards the end of August getting ready for the run up the tribs , I only imagine they are stacked out front getting ready to go up and keep coming till the run is over. What are some good ways to get them to bite????

What about fishing in the fall out in the lake ,dont really hear much of that going on, does it go on for all the species????

Be nice, Im stupid.

They dont bite once they enter the river!! It is all snagging. If your lucky your hook will find its mouth. Get ready for the s$&t storm for my reply as many will say this is untrue. Have fun!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the responses.

Can they be caught trolling still at the mouths of the tributaries or are they pretty tight lipped just before they enter.

Steelhead come up the tribs behind the salmon in the fall , am I correct they can be caught out in the lake at the mouth

of the tributary in the fall and early winter??????

In September, the offshore bite for Steelhead and next years kings can be unreal.  I would much rather run offshore without the BS of combat fishing and catch more fish.

I have done it into mid October with good success.  I have not done it in years but it should still be good.  Some of my best steelhead days came in late September and early October,

I'm glad to see no storm. Steelhead fishing is a viable option to fish for in the river even when salmon are running. I fish the river after the salmon run is over because I hate the crowds, jan and feb are my favorite times for steelies. Cold as hell but light crowds. Pm me if your interested in the name of a lake and river guide who can aide in your quest.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

What I think happens with the slow down as August winds down is 2 things. First the  mature salmon don't eat as much. Also during summer peak the fish are in many smaller size pods and are actively looking for bait & swining around a lot & covering a lot of water.  Twards the end of Aug they start to school up. So instead  of 10 pods of 10 fish there are 5 pods of 20 fish  and so on so your chances of happening on them gets less & less. I like to fish pre spawn staging areas in 60 -120' of water late Aug. I have a few hotspots I rely on and they ain't that big. But the fish seem to be there  every year.

After labor day  till late sept  off the mouths .First light & before dark are best times but during the day you can get hits also doing the right thing in the right areas.