Speed wise ranges from 2.8-3.2 down speed for me anyhow. As for temp anything below 50* is a good point to start but I keep my gear around the 48* mark and seems to be working out for kings and steelies

Edited by Sea-IV

Speed wise ranges from 2.8-3.2 down speed for me anyhow. As for temp anything below 50* is a good point to start but I keep my gear around the 48* mark and seems to be working out for kings and steelies

Thanks for the input. I seem to always go about 2.5-2.8 and pick up a few kings, but maybe I need to speed it up a bit. Thanks

This is a pic from I think 4 weeks ago. Look at my down speed, it was the best day we have had fishing for kings yet. I think we went 13 for 15 with our biggest being 24#. It was the weekend before the LOC started. The best thing I have learned from many Captains is that yes there is a point of going to fast but yet you don't want to go to slow cause it gives the fish time to look at it and you don't want that, you want that reaction bite plus it mostly eliminates the lakers cause you can't go slow enough for them. Kings love to chase, same with Steelies. Good luck, I will actually be over that way in the morning

post-155451-0-34168200-1436650495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sea-IV

All depends on the day, some

Days/years they want it fast, some they want it slow. I remember a few years ago I was running 1.8-1.9 down speed, anything faster and you did not get a touch. Let the fish tell you what they want!!! Good Luck

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

we also  run on the slower side 2.0 to 2.2 and very rarely are ever over 2.5.but thats what works for us.one of the most valuable things learned at this years lotsa salmon school was to figure out what works on your boat and go with it.dont be to concerned what works for others.get out there and experiment with speed and temp. and as you start picking up fish take notes and figure out what works for you on your boat.

Lakers 1.7-2 mph would be ideal, Browns 1.7mph along shore in spring to 2-2.25 mph later, Kings 2-2.25 mph typical, Steelhead 2.25-2.8 mph so it kind of depends what I am targeting.  A good all around down-speed for me is 2.25 mph on Moor Subtroll.  Other factors are the spoons I am running.  The thinner the blank.....the slower the optimum working speed.

Lakers 1.7-2 mph would be ideal, Browns 1.7mph along shore in spring to 2-2.25 mph later, Kings 2-2.25 mph typical, Steelhead 2.25-2.8 mph so it kind of depends what I am targeting.  A good all around down-speed for me is 2.25 mph on Moor Subtroll.  Other factors are the spoons I am running.  The thinner the blank.....the slower the optimum working speed.

This is just about identical what I do as well - on a Subtroll 900, other than on occasion I'll bump that speed to 2.5 for salmon.

Good luck,

Chris