Cayuga salvation derby

Started out yesterday at deans went north maybe 1/4 Mile and fished south to sheldrake fishing 125-180 fow. Not much action till we hit sheldrake point and boated 9 fish in an hour biggest was 6-7 lbs. fished 2 riggers 2 with cheaters,dipsy 3 setting,and a five color. Orange and purple/ white spoons were hot. 2 small LL, 3 lbs bow and 4 lakers.

Today fished deeper 150-350 fow and caught 8 fish suspended 35-100 down caught 3 LL biggest just under 4 lbs and 5 lakers. Biggest laker was around 8 lbs and lost a nice one 70 feet behind the boat :(

Thermocline is def set up and between 35-45 feet down

post-152411-14367248754184_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sure wish I was out there fishing despite the fleas....just finishing up the lawn work  and will then be heading for the James Taylor concert here tonight....guess the day won't be a total loss anyway :)  Have fun John.

:lol:  Yeah John I think the tickets at the box office for that one are long gone too.  We saw him here about 17 years ago and it was packed I think over 12,000 and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to including those in Europe.

Edited by Sk8man

just got home from fishing that tourney had a blast caught at least 75 fish in 2 days the fleas suck the best fishing was 60-70 ft of water  with a mt dew spinny and fly on a 300 copper also a7 color core produced a few rainbows and landlocks as well as a few of downriggers down 45-60 just wish we could get something big enough to place but had a great time met some great people

Nice to meet some fellow anglers at the weigh-in.  We really appreciate the effort the "Salvo" and Barney/Bear put forth to put this together for us all to enjoy.  It's a bit of a downer that these types of derbies are fewer and fewer.  As I understaned it the Lighthouse - Myers derby will not be happening and we certainly miss the Red-Cross.....

For us, this was certainly one of the most enjoyable derbies I've entered.  The enjoyment came from seeing my seven year old beam with pride and a level of enthusiam greater then I've ever seen in him.  A third place youth win for him created a day of Bliss for this old man.  There is no doubt that we will enjoy a life time of fishing memories together - he has been firmly hooked!  Thanks for the assembly of this derby to help light this passion!  This moment surely overshadowed a lucky first place laker spot for me.

Action was steady for us in the 65-75 foot range and we simply kept moving to find active fish.  The bulk of the fish were very sluggish to respond and had to be teased to hit.  We had one 45 minute window of steady active feeding saturday AM - the rest was a methodical pick.

Moral of our weekend,  TAKE A KID FISHING................

I've been thinking of a way to increase fisherman participation in this derby.

Thoughts on having a perch division as well?  Weight of five fish combined? 

Obviously it would'nt qualify for the lunker, but would be a great way to get shore / dock fisherman a chance at some fun.

Also I noticed only 4 spots were paid out, was this the case in the past or was it 5?