Copper: Another question

Do you need to run out all of the copper to the backing like lead core or can you run a 400 ft. copper reel out only 200 ft?? When you run copper off in-line boards do you tighten down the release so you reel in the board first, unclip it and then fight the fish? Attomik recommends 9' ugly sticks on their site any other rod recommendations?

Thanks for any help you might have.

John

John,

It depends on what type of release your using on the copper. If your just running it down the chute or in a rod holder off the side then you can run it whatever length/depth is hot, but if your looking to run it on a board or a yellowbird...out to the backer is preferred. The only reason being is that the majority style of releases that will be strong enough to hold copper/core are usually strong enough to kink the copper as well. Hope that helps...

-Shaun

Many of our staffers who have several seasons under their belt running copper prefer the lighter action ugly sticks, in all honesty you can use just about any rod you may already have, a bit of backbone in the butt section is nice, just make sure on older rods the guides are all in good shape free of nicks and such, many diver rods are also popular.

Tom

Does copper run the same depth per foot as steel? I see some running copper back 400ft off a dipsy? I have 1 pole set up with copper but I have not used it yet. Need some suggestions as well.

I run wire with a dipsey. Copper sinks at a rate of approx 22ft for every 100ft out and is not meant to be run with a dipsey. I run my copper set-up down the chute and let out whatever amount of copper I need to achieve my desired depth.

Brian(Goin Deep)

I have run 45lb copper with a diver and 8 ft Okuma diver rod. The rod has strong guides and will last a log time with the wire. The copper sends a dipsey down about 80-90 ft with 300ft out on a #2 setting, depending on speed and lure. This keeps the fleas off real good when they start up. Only thing I don't like is the feeling I am realing in winch cable and the lack off "feel of the fight", but it works ,OH and that depth is achieved with out the ring installed on the diver, less drag on the equipment.

Skipper,

You can get 60 - 65' down with 300' of copper with out a diver. Why would you put a diver on it? Get a 400' copper and you will be in that same range without the drag of the dipsy.

I was using the dipsey diver last year when I had small capacity reels and the rate of decent was 1 ft for 3 out which is a quick drop. there wasn't a lot of room for backing and the copper, and I got the depth I wanted and wasn't bothered by the flea infestation that was going on at the time. This year I just wound an old Penn 309 with 600 ft 30lb copper and 400 ft of 30 lb power pro. Haven't used it yet. the dipseys were for each side and to get more spread with a small reel thats all.

This year I just wound an old Penn 309 with 600 ft 30lb copper and 400 ft of 30 lb power pro. Haven't used it yet. the dipseys were for each side and to get more spread with a small reel thats all.

Hope ya don't get spooled. ;)

might be me but it sounds like you guys are confusing copper (using dypsys) to what we call wire ,when we talk "wire" (not silver single strand monel) its a braided usually 7 strand 30# test wire very small diameter like( .012 )sometimes it is a copper or brown color,sold on smallspools like regular line single refill spools in 300,or 1000 ft lengths,maybe it is 600ft and 1000 ft on the small spools its available in bulk too usually from specialty stores or the mfg. when we refer to copper it is actually a heavy looking braided brite copper bulky wire,usually sold in 600ft spools that are quite heavy in weight and on a large spool unlike regular line spools.the copper is thick and heavy (thus the sink rate 22ft per 100 out) and requires a reel that resembles sompthing you would find on a deep sea fishing boat.WHEN WE GET OR L.O.U. DICTIONARY AND DESCRIPTION LINK UP AND RUNNING BLUE EYES ,hint hint (not that you got a lot of free time )maybe next winter?it will help understand the fishing stuff we all use on the pond , I might be wrong here (1st time in my life),as to the way im reading this post gosh i hope not. so maybe this helps or not..Ray K.

[ I might be wrong here (1st time in my life),as to the way im reading this post gosh i hope not. so maybe this helps or not..Ray K.

You have never been more correct in your life Ray and I am just a hillbilly transplanted here from the catskills and made to be a flatlander out here in Lyntucky!

yes I am running heavy 45 lb copper braid for close in side dipsey settings. It sinks fast and if I want to go down 60 feet, I let out 180 feet and that is close in running compared to 272.72.72.72 feet of flatline and thats not including the part of the line still above water and that depends on tip of rod above water.......awww shucks this is way toooo tech for this banjo player. Getting spooled would be less of a chance when there is still 120 feet of copper and 400 feet of backing on these small reels. I don't like using copper at all really. It's bulky and makes the rod more work to hold than fighting a 40 lb salmon. But it keeps fleas off when they are here and then there is the spread of the divers I like that you can't get with a flat 600ft line out, and yes I run that too with 1000 feet total spool on a Penn 309.....If it comes to the bitterend....my boat also can stop, turn, backup, and or chase down the screamer....btw I don't fish in gatherings so I won't mess up anybody's program. IF ya hear foggy mountain breakdown commin from a blue, gold and white, center console.....ya might be toooo close ;) But I won't care if ya like ho down come oooon over. Thanks Ray, we gotta meet sometime.

Mark

im confused why would you use heavy copper to achive 60 with 180 out when you can use the light wire that will go to the same depths with the same amount of line out .i just bought a copper rig with 600 ft copper and that puppy weighs about 5lbs the 1000 ft spool of wire with reel weights less than 2 lbs. that copper ant seen the water yet,,,,,,hmm seems like i saw on the news someone in lyntucky stole a whole bunch of outhouse lighting wire 45# wire and the folks there had to poo in the dark.my copper is on a 345gti and its maxed out with 600 ft of copper and backing .how does you get 1000 ft copper #45 on a 309 ? you must string that stuff tighter than "G" string on a banjo

http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/misc.htm now dis is du copper i refeer to and there ant but 400 ft on the reel i got and it weighs 5 lbs that would put your 1000 ft copper to about 12 lbs.now if you go to this site and scroll down the number of fingers on your hand not counting the one in your nose that leaves 3 youll see the stuff im talking about .......thats what im talking about now do ya see why a newyorksky born guy like myself is confused bout your post ..................Ray K.

Ok, let me try this one more time. See if'n ican get my point straight ( not the one on my head). Last year I ran the outhouse 45lb wirein on a penn 209 and i wanted to get deeper than malin would go, closer to the boat so i would still have enough backin to let a fish run 500 ft or so. I only had 300 ft of 45lb copper not 1000ft like ya thought on my 209 cause i had to keep people from gittin ate by bears at nite when they pooped, so gave it back, but the price of junk.... now thats a thought.....oh yeah. fishin in close and achievin the depth without haulin around a tractor trailer 600ft of copper around behind the boat and then only havin 400 ft of backin to work with on a run. people talk about bein spooled are lettin out too much line and aint got a reel big 'nuff. anyways i don't want to fish that far from the boat, think about it, 1200 feet? thats a fur peice of outhouse wire and backin. dern near 1/5 mile. I got blow boat captn's tryin ta steal my wirein, an they don't offer a martini even. anyway my 309 don't have 1000feet awire onit, only 600 ft of 30lb wit 30lb power pro

ohh so it ant like a g string more like a "E".boy if anyone types in copper in the future in the search box they get this post they ant gonna want to get within a country mile of the stuff.i might be getting a little conffused .what size bobbers do you use for 300 ft out im thinking oh bout a qt. size shine glass(mason jar)

if'n ya see one about a gallon size with XXX on it floatin by itself. bring it back ta me but don't drink the balast, it's 200 proof. Yeah copper is a last resort but it might be worth more at the junk mans yard.

Boy, I'm sorry I asked....

John

Sure was fun though, Ray cracks me up :lol: .....Go ahead and use the wirin' but don't let no blow boat cap'ns near yer stern there... cause they want yer copper for martini $.

It's OK John, we might be a little off the edge, but we don't mean no harm ;) Ask any time if'n ya wanna laugh1

Mark