Hummingbird Helix 5

They just came out with a Helix 7 if you were looking for a larger screen. They are very affordably priced, and they have the same 2D sonar as the Core and ONIX series have. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and if/when you do purchase one look over at my link to tune.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52046-humminbird-sonar-settings-for-models-7xx-8xx-9xx-11xx/

They just came out with a Helix 7 if you were looking for a larger screen. They are very affordably priced, and they have the same 2D sonar as the Core and ONIX series have. Let me know if you have any specific questions, and if/when you do purchase one look over at my link to tune.

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52046-humminbird-sonar-settings-for-models-7xx-8xx-9xx-11xx/

Really appreciate that. Just saw the 7 and may go that route. Do I need the DI for trolling the lake..? My father and I ran charters out of Wilson back in the late 80's early 90's. I got older and he sold the boat. So I was regulated to the fall stream fishing. Just bought a small fishing boat and buying everything I can to get back out there. Crazy how much I missed it out there. Thanks again for the help !

I got the sonar/gps model this past winter to use as a 2nd ice fishing rig.  It has an excellent flasher mode when paired with the bird ice ducer.  Have been using it as my primary sonar since I got the boat out in the spring.  Lots of options and ways to configure the unit.  GPS is tight.  Have the Lakemaster NE card and it does cover Ontario and all of it's bays.  It is a MUST HAVE.  Got the details from Yankee before buying so it wasn't a gamble.  The included maps are just an outline of bodies of water.  The Sonar portion works well.  I can see my downrigger balls to just past 80 feet with the proper settings.  The screen is bright and detailed.  I really like all of the options for what you prefer to view on the left column.  Such as depth, speed, heading, temperature, voltage, etc..  My only minor issue is with screen size.  From the back of the boat it is a bit harder to see.  In the drivers seat, no problem.  I will be buying the larger 7" version and putting the 5 on the bow of the boat.  Great value for what you pay for these.  I will second that you don't need DI.  If you don't fish for bass with this unit, It would not be needed.  Nor the SI models.

Edited by MadPerry

Just bought a H5 GPS model at Dicks for my 14 footer . I think it's as much technology as a small boater would ever need, the detail is amazing . I already have several marks plotted on Hemlock . The screen is perfect size for a smaller rig but I would definetly go for the bigger size 7 inch screen on a larger rig. I can't wait to get out on Cayuga with it and target LLs. Good luck

How is the screen for night fishing?  I know Lowrance has a night mode and Garmin's 73SV I believes adjusts automatically.  I believe the unit has a lot of bang for the buck especially the new 7 inch model.  I have heard of a design flaw where the mico SD card door can get lost easily because it can inadvently get popped off.

I got the sonar/gps model this past winter to use as a 2nd ice fishing rig.  It has an excellent flasher mode when paired with the bird ice ducer.  Have been using it as my primary sonar since I got the boat out in the spring.  Lots of options and ways to configure the unit.  GPS is tight.  Have the Lakemaster NE card and it does cover Ontario and all of it's bays.  It is a MUST HAVE.  Got the details from Yankee before buying so it wasn't a gamble.  The included maps are just an outline of bodies of water.  The Sonar portion works well.  I can see my downrigger balls to just past 80 feet with the proper settings.  The screen is bright and detailed.  I really like all of the options for what you prefer to view on the left column.  Such as depth, speed, heading, temperature, voltage, etc..  My only minor issue is with screen size.  From the back of the boat it is a bit harder to see.  In the drivers seat, no problem.  I will be buying the larger 7" version and putting the 5 on the bow of the boat.  Great value for what you pay for these.  I will second that you don't need DI.  If you don't fish for bass with this unit, It would not be needed.  Nor the SI models.

You should be able to track those balls to well past 80'. My initial guess is that you;re using light cannonballs? Are you running it in dual mode where 83 and 200 KHz are laid on top of each other?

How is the screen for night fishing?  I know Lowrance has a night mode and Garmin's 73SV I believes adjusts automatically.  I believe the unit has a lot of bang for the buck especially the new 7 inch model.  I have heard of a design flaw where the mico SD card door can get lost easily because it can inadvently get popped off.

There are 3 background color schemes, and you can dim the back light as well. When I would come in or out in the dark we'd put the background on black and dim to 1 or 2 power. The menu to get to these settings is a quick press of the power button. 

Edited by Yankee Troller

When I'm installing this unit do I need to worry about isolating it from the downrigger power cable?

Probably not an issue unless the gauge of the wire is underrated. That would cause the voltage to drop significantly every time you use the rigger, and humminbird to possibly drop out.

Or maybe I misunderstood the question. Do you mean sharing the wires that go to your battery?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by MadPerry

You should be able to track those balls to well past 80'. My initial guess is that you;re using light cannonballs? Are you running it in dual mode where 83 and 200 KHz are laid on top of each other?

I run 13 lb torpedos. Usually run 2.6-3.2 downspeed, so there is a little blowback. Add in that I use my fh probe on my deepest rigger which may cause a bit more. I'll have to check which beams are on. That could be it.

I'm sure there are some rare occurrences of that out there. Voltages, magnetic fields, and signal wires with varying currents can do funny things. I have a whole bundle of power, sonar, fishhawk, radio, etc., zip tied together with no issues. I wouldn't overthink it. If you have an issue, change it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installed this unit and it looks great. Went to set it up and one of the first buttons I pushed stuck in !! Two buttons on the screen are stuck in and will not pop back out. Calling humminbird in the morning. Hope their customer service is good.

Their customer service is top notch.  No worries there.  Really strange you have that kind of problem,  but anything is possible.  I'm sure they will get you right.  Hope it's an isolated incident.  Looking forward to getting mine.