2 derby fish this weekend

Saturday Sheila and I met my buddy Richie at the dock at 5am for a couple hours of derby fishing.  We knew the bite had been decent so we motored out to 80 ft set down and trolled n.  We ran 4 rigger 3 with spoons 1 with ff 2 wire dipseys with ff a 10 color leadcore with spoon and 300 copper with ff.  We didnt move a rod till about 150 when 1 of the wire dispey takes a shot but it was a laker that we thankfully dropped at the back of the boat.  We continued north picking up 2 small lakers on the riggers till we got out to about 400ft when the deep rigger pulling green gator uv spoon pops and starts screaming.  I grabbed the rod gave it to Sheila and sat back to watch her do her thing.  After a couple of great runs and about 15 mins we netted a nice mature king.  Richie grabbed the scale it read around 23 lbs so we checked the leaderboard and realized maybe 3 rd place so off to weight it in we go.  Official weight was 22.07 lbs good enough for 7th place at the time but we knew it wouldnt hold. She was in 20th last time i checked

Sunday morning we met Richie his lady Sarah and another buddy Tim at the dock at 5 am again with more hopes of another derby fish.  We motored out to 150 ft got the same spread as saturday out and the action was almost immediate. The starboard side wire started ripping Richie grabs it and starts battling the fish when the 300 copper starts ripping. Tim grabbed it and we quickly think its tangled with Richies fish so Tim gives me the copper so i can try to figure put how to untangle it with the wire but then the wire fish drops and the copper is still going so i handed it back to Tim and we netted a nice 12 or 13 lb king after a few min fight. We continued our E troll when the high rigger pops and almost immediately a monster steelhead comes flying out of the water.  We had 3 guys in the back of the boat trying to land the monster cause it was going under the wires around the leadcore through the riggers but with GREAT teamwork we boated the beast!  Richie grabs the scale and its saying right around 16 lbs.  We knew the leader of the board at the time was 14 lbs so we cleared the rods and started motoring in.  Tim says we should call Narbys to see how early we can weigh in cause its only 7:30.  He calls at sure enough not till 9 so we set rods back out and immediately we catch another steelhead and dropped a screamer as i was handing the rod off to someone else.  We trolled a little longer picked up another smaller king and finally at 8:10 we pulled rods and headed to Narbys.  The official weight was 15.15 lbs good enough for 1rst place for now but lots of time for someone to beat it.  We went back out after the weigh in dropped 3 screamers off meat and landed a 21 lb king.  Greta day on the water and great teamwork!!!!!!!

WTG Dave and Sheila and team! :yes:  Some great fishing and sweet fish. Hope the steelie holds up.....either way you've got to be happy campers with those results. It sure sounds as though things are starting to turn on out there. Great report.

Edited by Sk8man

Congrats Dave! Now you will be watching the leaderboard crazy!

thanks Brian and yes ive been checking the leader board every couple of hours. Lol

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

congrats! Were u out of Sandy? I may have launched next to you. Looks like you found a decent class of fish. we picked away at teenagers.

Great job!

yes we went out of sandy

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice Report Dave......Team work was the biggest part of this victory....Even when we had to hand line in a 22lb king...Fishing is all about making memories you can share for a life time. Good fishing and a memory i'll never forget. Watching that steelie jump was worth waking up at 3:15am. Or not sleeping at all for sum people. ha