propane outboard

bout time

Just saw on the news tonight that now they have propane outboards. It said a 9.9 hp will run 6-8 hours wide open on a 20 lb tank. They come with their own battery located under the cowl and charges when it runs. It looked good but couldn't imagine having to start carrying propane tanks for fuel

Edited by bout time

Propane is heavier than air and a leak will accumulate in the bilge area creating an explosive hazard. Compressed natural gas is lighter than air and will leak to the atmosphere. Propane and boats are a no no.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't think a 9.9 kicker mounted on a transom bracket and the tank on a swim platform would be a recipe for an explosion. I'm paying $8.95 for a 20 pounder at Costco here in Ontario, l can't remember it being that cheap in at least ten plus years.

• 2 weeks later...

They're made by Lehr industries and come in horse powers  from 2.5hp to 25hp.The smaller ones have actually been out for a couple years.

Had a long talk with the factory guy at the Defender Marine trade show last year.I can't remember now but he told me who the engine maker was.Also asked about the dangers of propane on a boat,and how big of a tank would be needed.to run them,especially the 25hp model.

Naturally he told me that propane was safe on a boat.They,(Lehr) do make some fiberglass and aluminum below deck tanks that are extremely strong and well built,and made for marine use.

Personally, I don't see a big advantage in them other than being much less problematic in crud,and corrosion deposits in the carburetor.

Here's their website http://golehr.com/

BTW on the subject of dangerous vapors in a boat, I/O powered boats with below deck engines and fuel tanks,can be incredibly dangerous if not taken care of properly.Expolsions on boats due to gasoline vapors in I/O boats are not uncommon.Most of us don't give it much thought,but it can happen to anyone.

I make sure i run the blower,and there's not a hint of gasoline smell before I turn the ignition key..

Edited by big easy