Anchor Warning?

Hello All,

I want to experiment with fishing in deep water under anchor.  What I think about is how any passing boat would have cannon balls down, presenting a big hazard of tangling.  is there some common boaters' warning (like a flag of some kind) that tells passers by that an anchor line might be under them? 

Hello All,

I want to experiment with fishing in deep water under anchor.  What I think about is how any passing boat would have cannon balls down, presenting a big hazard of tangling.  is there some common boaters' warning (like a flag of some kind) that tells passers by that an anchor line might be under them? 

If your anchored you have the right of way other boats should avoid you anyway . I've never had a problem trolling around anchored boats or fishing while anchored. I fish Erie mostly and it gets hectic out there at times.

Now that I think of it, using the pythagorean theorem, I figure that if i am in 100 FOW and anchor with 300 feet of  line, a passing troller would have to get within 282 feet of me in order to snag up.  That seems pretty close.  Most guys give me way more space than that. 

Edited by Pete Collin

Don't worry Pete, not many people fish that water off Sandy. Fishing lakers is a sin to most. I get sh*t for doing it all the time.

And a lot of respect as well. Brian is a great fisherman and arguably the best laker fisherman out there. His success is only overshadowed by his willingness to share his knowledge and tactics freely to anyone that asks.

There are a lot more people fishing lakers than ever and Brians success and generosity has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the kind words Bill. 3 to 1 with the ball is what we used in Erie last summer to fish perch in 75 fow. It was a two foot chop both days and it held fine. Chain on the anchor is key.

Vertical trolling or jig fishing is very effective now. Walleye anglers are stopping their boats and casting jigging Rapala type lures over the transom to pull up major fish they marked on their graph. Kavajecz has a video on this method where he won a $78,000 boat last fall. Expect in the future a lot of boats may not be trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No chain is there for weight, you need chain to cause an anchor to function correctly. Without chain your boat will lift the anchor because of the action of the boat.

How much chain depends on size of anchor, rope, length of rope, boat, color of boat, and how mean your dad was to you growing up. Big debates on it anyway, but the rule that can be argued with is there is never to much chain. The length of chain rule for casual lake fishermen can be half the length of your boat, and that will work.

Remember these rule are for anchoring and not moving, in any weather, sleeping etc, not jig fishing where you don't care.

A six to ten foot section of heavy duty chain attached at the anchor end will help set the anchor into the bottom and  assist in keeping the angle of the anchor rope right too not allowing the anchor to slide on bottom. You could get some of the  small yellow and red colored plastic anchor line buoys to attach to the visible section of the anchor line above surface at the boat end

Edited by Sk8man