Couple newbie questions

Thx in advance and sorry if these have been gone over a hundred times already.

I have (2) riggers, (2) wire dipsy's and a 300' copper. I also am rigging up a depth raider I just got. 

1. My dipsy rods are 8 1/2'. After the dipsy and snubber, how long of a leader should I use for a spoon? How long for a flasher/fly? Do I connect the flasher right to a snubber?

2. Mono or fluorocarbon leaders and what pound test?

3. I put coated rigger line on. Do I put my release on the end, above the probe. Then the probe+cable+downrigger weight? Or is a clincher pad attached to the weight better?

4. I have a Lowrance Elite-7 with an 83/200 ducer. I usually fish on Lake Erie. Any obvious changes to my settings I should make (ducer/sensitivity etc) when fishing the deep waters of Ontario?

Appreciate any help

I have (2) riggers, (2) wire dipsy's and a 300' copper. I also am rigging up a depth raider I just got. 

1. My dipsy rods are 8 1/2'. After the dipsy and snubber, how long of a leader should I use for a spoon? How long for a flasher/fly? Do I connect the flasher right to a snubber?

3. I put coated rigger line on. Do I put my release on the end, above the probe. Then the probe+cable+downrigger weight? Or is a clincher pad attached to the weight better?

4. I have a Lowrance Elite-7 with an 83/200 ducer. I usually fish on Lake Erie. Any obvious changes to my settings I should make (ducer/sensitivity etc) when fishing the deep waters of Ontario?

Appreciate any help

1. We use 8' leaders of 50 lb fluoro for both spoons and F/F combos. Going down from the wire: swivel clip - dipsy - snubber - 8' fluoro leader - swivel clip - lure

2. We use 50 lb fluoro leaders on everything (but keep in mind we are a tournament team and we want to get the fish in the boat as quickly as possible). If you want more of a fight, then scale down to 20 lb test. 

3. We use Scotty releases and clip it on just above the ball to the terminator clip.

4. Not sure as we use Humminbird. Maybe someone else can comment here.

Hope that helps!

1. No need for a snubbers. Make the leader as long as you'd like. If you're fishing tight to the boat lengthen it. If you're fishing it further out then 8-10' works fine. Hand lining fish in from a diver is sometimes easier than pulling back on a rod.

2. We've run 25lb test for a long time, and even with big 11" paddles I can't remember ever cracking one off. Use a quality mono! Our only exception is when fishing Trout only. We will go to a 20lb Fluoro leader.

2. We use 50 lb fluoro leaders on everything (but keep in mind we are a tournament team and we want to get the fish in the boat as quickly as possible). If you want more of a fight, then scale down to 20 lb test. 

HUH! Would have never guessed! I fished the first 7 tourneys and saw you at 1 of them! One more event has passed since then, and your name still isn't on the scoreboard. More like a wanna-be tourney team! 

Edited by Yankee Troller

I have (2) riggers, (2) wire dipsy's and a 300' copper. I also am rigging up a depth raider I just got.

Appreciate any help

50 lb leader is not necessary.... Especially for spoons.... 30lb for flasher flies....20 or even 17 for spoons.... I definitely would use flourocarbon. .... And no need for snubbers. Check your leaders for nicks, and keep your drags loose.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

HUH! Would have never guessed! I fished the first 7 tourneys and saw you at 1 of them! One more event has passed since then, and your name still isn't on the scoreboard. More like a wanna-be tourney team! 

:rofl:  :lol:  :bandit:

1. We use 8' leaders of 50 lb fluoro for both spoons and F/F combos. Going down from the wire: swivel clip - dipsy - snubber - 8' fluoro leader - swivel clip - lure

3. We use Scotty releases and clip it on just above the ball to the terminator clip.

4. Not sure as we use Humminbird. Maybe someone else can comment here.

Hope that helps!

Why would you use a snubber with 50lb?  I don't use them with 30lb and never had a break off. 

Depends on your fishing style, equipment, etc. We use Okuma Dipsy rods that tend to be a little more stiff and are sometimes cranking up the speed over 3.0 requiring our drags to be tighter. The first time I tried not using a snubber it snapped the 50 lb fluoro... To each their own, but we use snubbers...

We use 8'6" Daiwa roller rods, which are stiff. Also use tight drags. Never broke 25lb test McCoy mono.

When are you gonna lose the "professional" tag and come to realize you're still an amateur? There really is nothing wrong with that, and you'd get much more respect from your peers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I gotta say no to snubbers also. When I got my first dipsy setup, I used them because they were illustrated on the back of the dipsy package. Thought I needed it. WRONG. Went on to lose several fish before I asked here what gives. Just my take.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We don't mind the "heat"... it's luke warm anyways! :lol:   I would prefer not to use them (better hook sets as stated), but I would rather err on not losing rigs per my previous experience with not using them... And our hook sets are pretty good using them...

lot of snubbing going on.  I have a smaller boat and I like a snubber for the headshaking just before the netting, while trying to get around the riggers and such.   Just my opinion.

I use 50lb flouro for all my leaders as well, but no snubbers. We generally like to troll faster than most so our drags on dipsey rods are pretty tight.

I snapped two nice fish off in my 2nd year king fishing and never went back to 30lb.

I know lots of guys run 30 or less with no issues but i like the confidence of using 50, maybe im just a chicken lol.

Good luck buddy, welcome to the most expensive hobby/sport/passion/obsession of your life😜

The length if the leader is set so from dipsey to end of hook is the same length as your rod. Helps Bring fish in and any longer you will have to hand line the fish in.

30 lb fluoro leader for flies

20 lb fluoro leader for spoons.

I would nit use a snubber.

thx for all the help and advice guys.. Still a little confused about my down rigger with the probe. I have the terminator at the end of the coated cable. I hook the probe there. Then on the other end of the probe I hook the break away cable and a swivel to my weight. Now my other rigger (without the probe) has a combination terminator/release on the end and then the ball. So originally I was thinking of using that same terminator/release on the probe one too but that would have my release above my probe, and about 2' above the weight which I don't think is such a good idea so I guess my options are to use a clincher pad release that hooks right to the weight or get a new break away cable under the probe that I can put a release on???

I also bought a "salmon fishing lot" from a guy that has spoons, flasher/flies, bunch of other goodies and a bunch of pre-tied 30# mono leaders, but they are all in 4' and 6' lengths and I can't figure out what I would use them on.. 

Oh-well enough rambling for one day..thx for the help and I can't wait to get out there!!!!

You can also use them for fixed and free sliders on your rigger rods. Feel free to stop by our boat any time and we'll be more than happy to show you how they work and how to rig them, along with anything else you may have questions about. We'll be at Sodus all weekend slipped behind Captain Jack's Restaurant. 

Edited by Finders Keepers

You don't want the release below the probe.   I have blacks release, probe, breakawaycable than weight   I don't want the rigger pole line interfearing with the probe tracking or rubbing on it.

Stacking is putting 2 rods on 1 rigger at differnt depths, cheaters are a length of line 6-8 feet or so that is either fixed to the main line or just clipped onto the line with a swivel that allows you to have 2 lures on 1 line.

I rarely do either so im not the guy to tell you when and why

Edited by sea yea 2