Tyee

40 lb'ers were possible when eggs from the west coast were being used within the stocking programs as those kings tended to stay in the lake for an extra year as compared to the kings we have now. Those genes have since been lost so mid-upper 30's is likely the best we'll see now. I agree with the 30+ being a Tyee.

Tyee = 30 lbs. 

But to really stick to the definition of catching a Tyee, you have to obey the rules:

http://www.tyeeclub.org/regulations/

Let me summarize:

- 6 to 9 ft rod

- max 20 lb test line

- boat cannot be motorized

- single hook

- reel with no clutch mechanism (ex. mooching reel)

The standards to qualify as a Tyee catch are much more than how much the fish weighs.

But, who cares? LOL.  If you catch a +30 lb fish, I want to see the picture!!  I will gladly tell you that you caught a Tyee.

Tyee = 30 lbs. 

But to really stick to the definition of catching a Tyee, you have to obey the rules:

http://www.tyeeclub.org/regulations/

Let me summarize:

- 6 to 9 ft rod

- max 20 lb test line

- boat cannot be motorized

- single hook

- reel with no clutch mechanism (ex. mooching reel)

The standards to qualify as a Tyee catch are much more than how much the fish weighs.

But, who cares? LOL.  If you catch a +30 lb fish, I want to see the picture!!  I will gladly tell you that you caught a Tyee.

The Cambell River in British Columbia is the home of the Tyee Club.  The fishing resort had the museum dedicated to this.  I will see if I can find the pictures and post them here.  It was pretty cool.