otisco 7-17-2015

johnnywalleye

I went out this morning and trolled between 45 and 50 FOW for walleyes and saw a couple large marks about 10' down and only picked up one smallmouth deep.  Decided to take a break from paddling and moved into shore and threw out a big spinnerbait and on the 3rd cast Wham.....felt like a nice bass hit and reeled it in to about  20' from the kayak when suddenly the fish turned around after it realized it was hooked as I realized it wasn't a bass and hung on for a long fight.....a 38" Tiger is now the biggest fish my kayak has seen yet this year and I sent it back on it's way after borrowing someone's dock for a couple of quick photos, my apologies and thanks to the owners.  

post-156407-0-29093500-1437319566_thumb.jpg

post-156407-0-72255600-1437319584_thumb.jpg

post-156407-0-65072600-1437319599_thumb.jpg

I know it, it was so close to 40".  Been doing pretty well this year for my first year with the kayak but still haven't gotten any walleyes trolling there yet.  Was that you out by Lader's Sunday morning around 6:30 AM?  There was a nice rig out there trolling and I thought it might be you.  If it was, that was me doing the one handed paddle to shore with the muskie in my net hung over the side haha. I love the looks of that area but never have been able to fish it until this year.  Would probably be a good ice fishing spot if I could figure out how to get over there without hiking across the lake.

Wasn't me...I slept in after a couple hard days and no eyes to show for it. Sunday i saw temps over 80 and more hot days can only help. That area has a good tiger that hangs around the yellow floating dock in the turn and have caught many tigers and walleye all the way around laders. It is the best structure/feature on the lake with the possible exception of the causeway. In fact the fishing hotspot book i have says " dont neglect laders point" Finding fish wasnt the hard part with eyes last weekend....its getting em to commit.

I personally agree with the 40" limit.  In my opinion the only reason to keep one of these fish would be for a wall mount since they are not much for table fare.  I caught a 46" purebred muskie in Ontario, Canada a few years ago and released it since it wasn't 50" and that is still my goal to this day and may likely never reach it but that's what keeps me going back!

Does anyone know what depth the thermocline is set up on otisco lately?  I am marking most fish at 10' and a few 30' down over 40'-50' but not sure how well my old fish finder is working since it was also marking a pretty steady line at 10' down for very long stretches.  Could have been bait but isn't that usually the reason for fishing the thermocline since that is  where the water temp break is?

I personally agree with the 40" limit. In my opinion the only reason to keep one of these fish would be for a wall mount since they are not much for table fare. I caught a 46" purebred muskie in Ontario, Canada a few years ago and released it since it wasn't 50" and that is still my goal to this day and may likely never reach it but that's what keeps me going back!

took me twenty years to crack fifty. Worth it. On the flip side of that one of my sons did it in twenty minutes.ðŸ˜

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wow 20 minutes is impressive to say the least!   Great fish to catch whether they are 30" or 50" but the rarity of the catch is what makes them such a prize.  I still think if I got one that big I would have a fiberglass replica made and let it go considering how old a purebred like that must be, I'm guessing 25 y/o?  Maybe 20 for a tiger since hybrids grow faster?

When i started chasing musky catch and release was just catching on. "One for the wall" was accepted then and that was my plan. But once i finally got one in my boat i knew i could never kill one,no matter how big it was. Way too magnificent an animal to turn into a knick knack. After last week's big score i talked to mom about a replica. After some discussion it was decided(by her) that it was way too much money for something that was going to collect dust in the basement as there was NO WAY it was hanging over her mantle. So be it.

. After last week's big score i talked to mom about a replica. After some discussion it was decided(by her) that it was way too much money for something that was going to collect dust in the basement as there was NO WAY it was hanging over her mantle. So be it.

Don't listen to her!

......get the replica and put it in the garage or man cave!

dEv-0

Temps I had Wednesday

pond. 87

Lake south 84

North 81

Down 25-28 70

down 33-36 60

Fish i got were caught early evening on a perch tdd9 down bout 25....nothing on spoons. Nothing to celebrate yet, but its looking trollable. Ill know more after this weekend....

Good info, at least I know I was on the right track just not getting them to bite.  I have been completely guessing with my paddling speed but just sold both my fish finders last night on ebay so I can order a Lowrance Mark 4 Chirp that will take the guesswork out for me at least.  Good luck over the weekend, I'll probably be fishing along shore on Sunday since my kayak is electronicless for now.  Tuesday morning I trolled the South West and East shores and straight up the deep hole at the southern end with nothing but 2 large rock bass to show for it.