I would not do it except in september when fish are in th mouth of the river. The lake goes from calm to rough in a matter of less than 5 min sometimes. When I say rough, I mean 6 ft waves and more. I did personnaly sometimes fished with important wind on my 22 ft Lund Baron boat and try to avoid it. Waves are goods for fishing, but security is key.

Early morning and evening should he a safe bet. Sometimes ill take my dingy out early morning..7am ish to about 80 fow..throw out 2 dipsys set up the fish finder and ive caught tons. Just watch what the winds doing and you should be ok

check out a few web sites for wind and waves. some days the lake is like glass and you could be fine. But if the winds are changing speeds or direction, I'd stay pretty tight to shore. On more than one occasion the place that took 15 minutes to run out to, took 45 to get back from, with a lot more lot than you got there. 

• 2 months later...

Wear a quick release seatbelt. I owned a 14' fibreglass/40 Merc and got caught out about 1.5 miles from perfectly calm to 6 foot swells and a little wind. Launched from Marie Curtis, bye the time I followed the waves semi-diagonally back-in, in order to not get swamped bow/stern, I landed in breakwater at Port Credit, about 8 miles west of Marie Curtis.

If you have not done so, read-up on methods to increase chances of getting-in when caught in unexpected winds and high white caps..it could save your life. It will also tell you how to manipulate your engine-throttle and how to ride the highest of waves. Generally speaking forget about being able to go straight-in. Get on the cell and let the Coast Guard know your approximate location and compass direction toward shore (always take a radio (weather reports) and the Coast Guard emergency number.